Vanilla Bland

Once Upon a Time discussion that isn't directly related to the plot and doesn't fit in any other forum.
Robert60

Vanilla Bland

Postby Robert60 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:52 pm

I have noticed in my life that when a man gets too vanilla bland that a woman can lose her desire for him. It sometimes seems to me that the men are becoming too agreeable on OUAT. A female friend of mine thinks that Charming is just too agreeable with Snow. Possible leading her to a future affair with someone who excites her. I personally think that he is just trying to make their marriage work but have sometimes wondered if she isn't right. Okay he isn't an jerk but I have seen women stick with jerks too many times not to come to the conclusion that woman need the spice of emotional intensity.
Another thing all the main action seems to revolve around the female character's and the men are only involved in a support capacity. I would like to see Charming and Henry have an adventure like Emma and Snow did in season two. Something where they both have to go and the women stay home and worry. I could see a scene where, say Ruby say's to Snow. "When you and Emma were in the Enchanted forest David never quit looking for a way to bring you home but acknowledged that he and Henry might never see you again. It was hard but he was prepared to raise Henry by himself and live without you. He did find a way to bring you home but King George destroyed it. He then looked for another way and eventually found one. Thank God it worked but he stayed strong, now you must do the same. If he and Henry are killed or can't find a way back then you must raise baby Neal without him and go on."
Such an adventure might be good for David and Henry and help them both grow. It might give him David an emotional intensity that would make him more attractive to Snow.
Last edited by Robert60 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourpeace101

Re: Vanilla Bland

Postby fourpeace101 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:13 am

Snowing has become boring lately. I still love them but I wished they would add a good story line for them. One of the things that I love about OUAT is the strong female characters, but I would love to see strong female and male characters work together more. I feel the earlier seasons it was more like that but they been put in the background more.
Robert60

Postby Robert60 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:10 am

Another entry. I read a response to one of my other posts that Charming is acting in a support capacity because it is really Snow's kingdom. Also he was not raised as royalty. He was a sheppard taking care of his mother. He was thrust into being a member of royalty by circumstance. Under the circumstances he has done quite well. Also he was in a coma for 28 years while Snow functioned everyday. I would like to see a story line where he can catch up. Say an adventure where he is away for several years. For him maybe thirty of forty years where he comes to believe that he will never be able to return to Storybrook or Snow and Emma. He lives an entire lifetime in that lifetime he remarries, grows old but then is rejuvinated and returned to Storybrook only a few weeks after he left. He will be much more experienced and seasoned. Snow will realize that while he looks the same he has lived several years without her. She will notice how much more confident and capable he is. She got to live those 28 years while he was in a coma. Time to even things up.
SarahElisa

Postby SarahElisa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:36 am

I like the idea of Charming and Henry having some sort of Grandfather/Grandson bonding adventure. (Especially, after he was teaching Henry to sword-fight a while back and such. It would be fun to see them do more stuff like that together.) I would also like to see some of the male characters become more leading characters and less supporting. I know that I tried to get my boyfriend into liking this show, he likes a lot of fantasy stories, but he just could not get past the fact that the show seems to him to be made for females. While, yes, many of the fans are predominantly female, I feel like his feelings are not completely unjustified and it would not hurt to give the male characters a chance to shine as well. :)
"When two people love each other, there's nothing they can't accomplish together." -Alice, OUATIW
fourpeace101

Postby fourpeace101 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:07 am

It does make sense that Charming would let Snow lead and take a step back. Though I don't think the 28 years in SB that Snow had really mean anything. She was in a dazed state that didn't really do anything for her. Everyday was exactly like the day before. I don't think she changed at all until Emma showed up.
I'm all for a boy's adventure. It would be good character development for early teenage Henry.
Robert60

Postby Robert60 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:52 am

fourpeace101 wrote:It does make sense that Charming would let Snow lead and take a step back. Though I don't think the 28 years in SB that Snow had really mean anything. She was in a dazed state that didn't really do anything for her. Everyday was exactly like the day before. I don't think she changed at all until Emma showed up.
I'm all for a boy's adventure. It would be good character development for early teenage Henry.
She was a healthy women kept young by the curse. Maybe she was in daze but I still have a hard time believing she was celibate all that time. It doesn't seem to have occurred to Charming to ask or find out. If I were him I would want to know. Maybe there were others besides Whale.
fourpeace101

Postby fourpeace101 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Robert60 wrote:
She was a healthy women kept young by the curse. Maybe she was in daze but I still have a hard time believing she was celibate all that time. It doesn't seem to have occurred to Charming to ask or find out. If I were him I would want to know. Maybe there were others besides Whale.[/quote]

I don't agree that there were others an Whale. It would make sense normally. In season two or three it shows everyday just like the day before. I believe for MM she would have to be in a relationship to sleep with someone but thanks to the curse that wasn't happening. She only slept with Whale because she deeply upset with David.
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:01 am

I can't with this constant posts of "Charming is not macho enough, listening to his wife and respecting her desires and agreeing with her and acting like a normal healthy couple". I'm gone for months sometimes, but every time I come back, there is a new thread about Snow and Charming being boring, or how Charming should be more controlling, and Snow is too bossy. Snow and Charming have been together for a while now, and they tend to agree on things, which is why David doesn't oppose Snow's plans. Is not that he is "weak" or whatever, is because he agrees with his wife. Shocking, I know, but it does happen in real life.

This may also come as a shock for some people, but the idea that men are supposed to be the ones in charge is not only false, is also sexist and disgusting. Relationships are based on partnership, which is exactly what Snow and Charming have, and they are great together.

Snow and Charming may not be the most intense couple in all history, but that's because they have a steady relationship based on partnership, and I respect the show for not adding forced drama and showing they love and support each other no matter what. Wish more shows did something like that.

Now I have to go cry a river over the fact that OUAT focuses more on the female characters, because you know, is not like men still have way more presence on the media and women still struggle to find good roles that don't revolve around a male character and shows like OUAT are the exception and not the rule.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then

Return to “More Once Stuff”