No
35%
Meh
24%

Total votes: 62
Jennie

Re: [2x12] In the Name of the Brother Discussion

Postby Jennie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm

scarlettrose wrote:But I still don't know why Frankensteins black-and-white world is Austria. Regarding to the article on wikipedia the Frankenstein from the original novel by Mary Shelley he was born in Switzerland and studied in Germany. :shrug2:

Hmmm....I don't know. I've never actually read Frankenstein.

Oooo...perhaps they're trying to incoporate Transylvania into Dr. Whale's land. Isn't Transylvania near Austria?
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Transylvania was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks. I thought I remembered something like that but I couldn't look it up to verify at the time.

I guess we could actually see Dracula in the future... :twisted:
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:01 am

scarlettrose wrote:One thing worth mentioning in this context; someone noted already that there was a scientist named Gregor Mendel. His hometown is now in the Czech Republik, but to the time he was alive it belonged to Austria.

Someone mentioned that about Mendel in a topic in the Theories section. Did they mention it here too? I thought that was interesting that the Outsider shared that name.

And now Austria is in common with Victor? Hoo boy, that's a nice coincidence. Or is it...?

Outsider theory topic is here if anyone cares (and yes, I did start this topic, but other people are spinning the fantastic theories there, not me, lol):
Who is the Outsider?
Spoiler:
Also a fan of Grimm. Find me here under this profile:
grimmforum.com
Like fics? I've got some:
TheWormThatTurns @ fanfiction.net

liolet

Postby liolet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Believing in even the possibility of a happy ending is a very powerful thing.
Belleflower

Postby Belleflower » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:06 pm

liolet wrote:Interview with Jane Espenson: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/on ... espenson1/

Awesome interview! I love what Jane said about Cora. :lol:
♥ Team Dearie | Team Rumbelle | Team Beauty | Team Clan Charming | Team Snowing | Team Mad Hatter | Team Neal Cassady ♥
Skin Deep

Postby Skin Deep » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 am

Great interview!
Rumbelleღ
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Agreed. Great interview ^_^

Reread a transcript of this episode today (just because)
Something I missed.

Rumpelstiltskin: Your land has witchcraft, but it’s feeble, neglected stuff. Where I live, it’s strong and hearty.

I know we've already said that Victor's world must have some sort of magic (and sciency magic) since it's most likely the same land as Dracula and such but I thought I would point this out anyway.
Love, like a delicate flame and once it's gone, it's gone forever. - Mr. Gold
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:14 pm

The way Emma was manhandling Hook in this episode makes me surprised that Horowitz and Kitsis would support the use of police brutality. This says a lot about them, does it?
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:16 pm

No, not really.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Caroline wrote:No, not really.

Oh yes it does.

But I guess since Emma - being the show's protagonist - gets away with everything. Even in the eyes of the fans. They see nothing wrong with her keeping a stolen vehicle, which she knows is stolen. And they see nothing wrong with her using her position as sheriff to manhandle Hook and cause him pain, while he was in a hospital bed. She was resorting to police brutality. But I guess "the savior" can do that in the eyes of many.
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:01 pm

The show doesn't condone Emma's actions in any way, a lot of fans disliked what she did when the episode aired.

If Emma mistreating Hook means A&E support police brutality, does that mean the creator of Breaking Bad supports drug dealers? because Walter White does terrible things and gets away with it, did the writers from Prison Break defend criminals escaping from prison? do the showrunners from Game of Thrones support murder and rape? are the people behind suits saying is ok to work as a lawyer without a license to do it? I could go on, there are a lot of shows out there that portray their characters doing awful things without consequences.

Just because a writer includes something in a scene doesn't mean he/she is ok with it.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
misy

Postby misy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Are we forgetting that Hook beat Belle unconscious?
Does that mean K&H condone abuse? NO.
It means they are portraying their characters.....which, um, is what writers do.....come on.
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves"
RebeccaMatthews

Postby RebeccaMatthews » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:57 pm

CTrent29 wrote: They see nothing wrong with her keeping a stolen vehicle, which she knows is stolen.

Ya know, I think that's one of the biggest origin screw ups the show has done. Now that it's out there that Emma stole the car, I'd much rather not know how she got the Bug.
misy

Postby misy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:08 am

OMG!Really!!?!??!!!??!?!
Emma is in possession of a stolen car!!!!!!!
OH NO!!!!
Compared to the indiscretions of some of the other characters....I'd say she's good!

But lets keep ignoring the fact that Hook beat a defenseless woman unconscious.
Lol....smh
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:02 am

I don't think anyone's ignoring anything. They just aren't comparing characters to try and defend another's actions. We tend to do that. We defend ourselves and others by pointing out how much worse someone else's actions are.

btw, it may just be semantics, but saying that Hook "beat a defenseless woman unconscious" implies that he hit her over and over until she was unconscious. He hit her once and she was out cold. He did a horrible thing, but the other sounds like he's a wife-beater or something.

I think it's important to note that these are all things that happened before these characters began their current character arcs. Rumple mistreated his wife and eventually killed her. Emma stole a car that was already stolen by Neal (and plenty of other things). Hook was blinded by his quest for vengeance against Rumple. Rumple is currently backsliding after he killed Zelena and deceived Belle, but we haven't seen Emma steal anything recently and we haven't seen Hook hit a woman since he gave up his quest for revenge.
misy

Postby misy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:14 am

btw, it may just be semantics, but saying that Hook "beat a defenseless woman unconscious" implies that he hit her over and over until she was unconscious. He hit her once and she was out cold.

So because he hit her hard enough to knock her unconscious with one punch it doesn't constitute being labeled a beating?
How many times does one have to pummel someone in order for it to be considered a beating?
He beat her, she ended up unconscious.
How many blows to the head it took him to render her in that condition is sooo not the point.
Battered woman all across the face of this Earth would probably disagree with your assesment.
desa

Postby desa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:38 am

Jennie wrote:Rumple mistreated his wife and eventually killed her.

I don't remember that Rumple mistreated his wife.What episode was that?I do remember that she mistreated him at the tavern and at home.He did kill her in the end that I know,but he never mistreated Milah.He did however mistreated Belle in the beginning.
mdlay

Postby mdlay » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 am

misy wrote:
btw, it may just be semantics, but saying that Hook "beat a defenseless woman unconscious" implies that he hit her over and over until she was unconscious. He hit her once and she was out cold.

So because he hit her hard enough to knock her unconscious with one punch it doesn't constitute being labeled a beating?
How many times does one have to pummel someone in order for it to be considered a beating?
He beat her, she ended up unconscious.
How many blows to the head it took him to render her in that condition is sooo not the point.
Battered woman all across the face of this Earth would probably disagree with your assesment.

As someone who was once in a domestic violent situation I COMPLETELY agree with Misy.
If I call the cops and they come by and say oh no we can't take your aggressor away he only hit you once. (the F@k No!)... but my brother agrees that semantics are important and that the way it is written indicates that she was repeatedly struck instead of just knocked out.
so lets just say that both are valid points.
desa wrote:
Jennie wrote:Rumple mistreated his wife and eventually killed her.

I don't remember that Rumple mistreated his wife.What episode was that?I do remember that she mistreated him at the tavern and at home.He did kill her in the end that I know,but he never mistreated Milah.He did however mistreated Belle in the beginning.

What desa said. Never during their marriage was Milah mistreated by Rumple (Belle yes, which makes Rumbelle relationship a little sadder, but I'm all for beauty and the beast so... yep) He killed her, and though it was relatively quick it was still bodily harm so yep.
misy

Postby misy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

mdlay- I sympathize with you. I, too, am speaking from experience (sadly).
When I recall that time in my life, semantics don't come into play. Regina stopped him just as he was about to bury his hook in her chest (while she lay unconscious). Had he succeeded, I wouldn't say "Oh, murder is such a harsh word. Let's just say he only stabbed her once."
In this context, I think "semantics" is just a colorful word for trivialization.

Return to “Episode Discussion”