No
20%
Meh
25%

Total votes: 60
Jennie

Re: [2x13] Tiny Episode Discussion

Postby Jennie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm

I liked seeing more of Prince James. He's pretty much exactly how we'd expect him to be since he was raised by King George. But I think it also goes to show that even twins are not the same person. Even if they had been switched, it doesn't mean that David would have been just like James and James would have been David.

It leads to the argument of Nurture vs. Nature, but having known two sets of identical twins in my life, I know for a fact that they are not usually identical personality-wise. They may enjoy a lot of the same activities, but they are often passionate about different things. We all hear the stories about twins leading parallel lives, even marrying spouses with the same name, but I'm willing to bet the ones that diverge as adults are much more common than the identical lives stories.

I think Snow told David exactly what he needed to hear. He feels the guilt of what his brother did and risking his life for Anton was his way of trying to atone. He doesn’t need to spend the rest of his life feeling guilty for being the one raised by his parents while James was raised by George.
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
Most_Desperate_Hour

Postby Most_Desperate_Hour » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm

I liked this episode. The flashbacks were interesting and I absolutely adored the individual storylines going on in Storybrooke and with Mr. Gold. I wasn't terribly fond of Jack though. I was really intrigued by the idea of Jack being a woman. It would be following in the footsteps of Snow, Mulan and Belle. Taking traditionally "damsel in distress" princesses and making them kick ass warrior chicks. However, the way Jack was portrayed did a severe disservice to her character. The actress was great and she was drop dead gorgeous, but I didn't really like how the writers turned her into a heartless...witch. :x: The scenes with Anton and his family were ok. They almost borderlined on being slightly boring, but I thought they were sweet. And don't even get me started on Prince James. The way that jerk treated Anton and Jack gave me a new appreciation for Prince Charming. Oh, speaking of Charming...HIS NAME IS DAVID! :lol: I should have guessed that! Why didn't I think of that? It makes perfect sense though. Regina didn't really need to come up with a proper Storybrooke identity for him because she thought he'd be in a coma for the rest of his life. Nice one writers. Nice. ;)

I really loved the scenes between Mr. Gold, Emma and Henry. I was relieved to see Mr. Gold relent on his initial threat to the Charming family. I liked that he promised Charming to keep Emma and Henry safe. I guess Gold was just having a bad day when he made that threat. Belle, Hook, the stranger, ect. But dude, if you're having a bad day, have a glass of wine or something. Don't threaten an innocent family! :lol: I also really enjoyed Robert Carlyle's performance in this episode. The scene with him bashing his fist into the bathroom stall was...WHOA. Give this man a damn Emmy already.

I also really liked Belle's scenes with Ruby and Greg. I was sad to see how horribly Belle was being treated at the hospital. Everyone was treating her like she was nuts and I don't understand why. What's the point of lying to her? She isn't leaving town anytime soon, so why lie? Anyhoo, I'm also intrigued by Greg's interest in her. I'm not convinced that he's just a regular human who has never seen magic before. He seems to have a plan in the works. Hmmm...I'm worried for Belle... :?

Regina's back to her old ways. I kind of expected that to happen, but it was still interesting to see. It looks like she, Cora and Hook are going to team up to find Rumpel's dagger and kill him. Ugh...this storyline is going to kill me. :cry:

Good episode, a little boring at certain points, but still pretty good. But next week's episode is what I'm looking forward to the most.
"It's the most wonderful and amazing thing in the world. Love is hope. It fills our dreams. And if you're in it, you need to enjoy it because love doesn't always last forever. Now, go find your love. Find your hope. Find your dreams" ~ Belle
The Mistress

Postby The Mistress » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Best:
-Mr. Gold' scenes with Emma and Henry in the airport.
-Regina back to her sexy, bad ass self.
-Cora, Hook and Regina are up to no good.
-Belle and Ruby's scenes.
-Charming choking Hook.
-The dwarves whistling as they worked. :D
-Snow shooting the arrow at Anton.
-David's name actually being David. So funny. :lol:
-Prince James and Jack's FTL costumes. Josh looks amazing in leather. :mrgreen:

Worst:
-Jack being nothing but a stuck up mistress.
-James was a royal douchebag.
-I hate King George. Everytime I see him, I just want Snow or Charming to uppercut him.
-The flashback scenes with Anton and the other giants.
"Evil isn't born dearie, it's made." ~ Rumpelstiltskin
"Because there's still good in you. I've seen it. I've always seen it." ~ Belle
Team Dearies/Team Rumbelle/Team Evil Regals
ihr

Postby ihr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 pm

I don't like the way they treat Belle, she is upset,confused and asking questions that everyone seem to avoid by drugging her and other than Red, nobody cares about her.
ihr

Postby ihr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Gold's scenes in the airport and during the take-off were interesting. It seemed like, after all those years, this is the same man who refused to leave his village with Milha.
Belleflower

Postby Belleflower » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm

ihr wrote:I don't like the way they treat Belle, she is upset,confused and asking questions that everyone seem to avoid by drugging her and other than Red, nobody cares about her.

Yeah, I didn't like that either. It's better for them to simply tell Belle the truth. She isn't leaving town anytime soon, so she won't run and tell the outside world about what she saw. And she's going to have to get used to seeing magic anyways. It's everywhere! And I really hated that they sedated her. And Ruby just kind of...standed there. You'd think she would have tried to reason with the nurse or something.
♥ Team Dearie | Team Rumbelle | Team Beauty | Team Clan Charming | Team Snowing | Team Mad Hatter | Team Neal Cassady ♥
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I also didn't like the way they treated Belle. I think the reason they didn't tell her the truth is because it would take too much explanation. Yes, what you saw was magic. Yes, the man you saw can use it. No, it's not that unusual because we come from a land of magic. Well, we were all under this curse and you lost your memories, but you are Belle from Beauty and the Beast. How can they possibly explain all of that to her without her feeling like they are just making fun of her and not taking her seriously? I don't agree with it, but I can see how it would be a difficult situation.

I also really liked the scenes with Gold at the airport. He seems to really be struggling with not being able to use magic. And the fact that is in the forefront of his mind and not his meeting with Bae, I think is really interesting.
Dearie

Postby Dearie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Heidirs wrote:I also really liked the scenes with Gold at the airport. He seems to really be struggling with not being able to use magic. And the fact that is in the forefront of his mind and not his meeting with Bae, I think is really interesting.

Hmm, I actually saw it as a mixture of both. Rumpel has spent the last 300 years searching for Baelfire and the day is finally here. There's a thousand different possibilities of how the reunion could down, and I'm betting Rumpel thinks it will end in heartbreak. He knows he screwed up and he's probably scared to death to hear what Bae has to say to him.

And then on top of that, you have the fact that Rumpel is, for once, powerless. All he has is a bounty hunter and a cane at his disposal. He isn't the all powerful god that he was in Storybrooke or the Enchanted Forest. It's the first time in over 300 years that he's been without magic and he's freaking out.

His anxiety seemed to be formed from a perfect storm of all of Rumpel's greatest fears and vulnerabilities.
"If I were you, I'd let him die. So glad I don't give a damn."
"If any harm comes to Belle while I'm gone, I'm killing all of you."
~ Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin a.k.a. The Beast
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm

I think Snow told David exactly what he needed to hear. He feels the guilt of what his brother did and risking his life for Anton was his way of trying to atone. He doesn’t need to spend the rest of his life feeling guilty for being the one raised by his parents while James was raised by George.

It's not what he really needs to hear in the end. David, like everyone else, has both good and bad within him. All it takes is the right situation - emotional or otherwise - to lead David onto the wrong path or the wrong decision. I hope that one day, the so-call "heroes" will learn this lesson. Even if it has to be the hard way.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 pm

^I'm not sure Cora knew about the bean sprout or she could have just taken it from Anton. Maybe she just thought he had a way of making/getting more beans, but didn't know what it was.

Good observation about needing an enchantment . . . maybe Jack being a slayer of several creatures knew a spell or had gotten hold of one (she knew about the poison, after all).
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Boy this show has gone to the dogs. From last year winner, it turned out to be a wiener this season.

Honestly? The show was far from perfect, last year. I'm watching the Season 1 episodes now and realize that the series' quality has remained the same - entertaining, but flawed.

It's the first time in over 300 years that he's been without magic and he's freaking out.

Rumpel has spent 28 years without magic before Emma's arrival and nearly another year without magic after he had regained his memories.
ihr

Postby ihr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm

David questioning himself was a potentially great character development, it's too bad that Snow's line put a stop to it.
Her assertion that David would never be like his brother, is debatable.
Is he really "good" because he was born that way, or because he was raised by good people?

I'm not sure what the show is trying to say.
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

ihr wrote:David questioning himself was a potentially great character development, it's too bad that Snow's line put a stop to it.
Her assertion that David would never be like his brother, is debatable.
Is he really "good" because he was born that way, or because he was raised by good people?

I'm not sure what the show is trying to say.

Considering such actions like his attack upon Regina near the end of "Broken", I don't think he was born "good". Sooner or later, the Charmings are going to have to face and accept that they are not wholly "good". And there is nothing wrong with that. It's better to realize this than pretend to be the epitome of goodness.
Belleflower

Postby Belleflower » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

CTrent29 wrote:Rumpel has spent 28 years without magic before Emma's arrival and nearly another year without magic after he had regained his memories.

Yeah, but for those 28 years, he didn't have his memories, so he didn't miss his powers. How you can miss something you never knew you had?
♥ Team Dearie | Team Rumbelle | Team Beauty | Team Clan Charming | Team Snowing | Team Mad Hatter | Team Neal Cassady ♥
Dearie

Postby Dearie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Belleflower wrote:
CTrent29 wrote:Rumpel has spent 28 years without magic before Emma's arrival and nearly another year without magic after he had regained his memories.

Yeah, but for those 28 years, he didn't have his memories, so he didn't miss his powers. How you can miss something you never knew you had?

Exactly. He didn't even know he was Rumpelstiltskin for the 28 years he lived under the curse. So, he couldn't possibly have missed his powers then. And even though he didn't have his powers for about a year after Emma arrived, he had his plots and schemes to keep him at bay. Aside from the year or so he spent without his powers in Storybrooke, this is his first time without magic.
"If I were you, I'd let him die. So glad I don't give a damn."
"If any harm comes to Belle while I'm gone, I'm killing all of you."
~ Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin a.k.a. The Beast
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 pm

CTrent29 wrote:It's not what he really needs to hear in the end. David, like everyone else, has both good and bad within him. All it takes is the right situation - emotional or otherwise - to lead David onto the wrong path or the wrong decision. I hope that one day, the so-call "heroes" will learn this lesson. Even if it has to be the hard way.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree. I'm not saying that David hasn't made mistakes because he has (he's human), but he souldn't be beating himself up for the mistakes his brother made. That's why it was what he "needed to hear".

It's not the situations that we are in that define us, but how we respond to those situations. He could have tried to kill Anton, but instead he offered himself up in exchange for Anton sparing everyone else. He did this because he felt the guilt of what his brother had done to Anton and his family. He took responsibility of another's actions which is very noble. That's something that is in his character and that's what Snow was pointing out to him.

James might have been the way he was because of George or he might have been as selfish as David was unselfish, regardless of his upbringing. There have been tons of studies on the subject and each come to varying conclusions. That's why you can have two children raised by the same parents, who admit that they were treated the same, and yet they have very different personalities.
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
ihr

Postby ihr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:42 pm

It seems that troubles are brewing in heaven. If they manage to grow the beans, they could travel back to FTL. David wants to go back, Snow doesn't. She has been there and it's devastated. I see some conflict in the future.
It would add an interest to an otherwise boring couple, IMO.

Is it just me, or David seems emotionally detached from Emma?
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

^We haven't really seen an opportunity for the two of them to interact to the extent we have seen Emma and Snow.
ihr

Postby ihr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Heidirs wrote:^We haven't really seen an opportunity for the two of them to interact to the extent we have seen Emma and Snow.

I know, but I have a feeling that she is an afterthought for him. Like, he wouldn't mind going to FTL and leaving Emma here. Just a feeling.
Belleflower

Postby Belleflower » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:53 pm

^I doubt that. He hasn't spent as much time with Emma like Snow has. He loves her, but he's still getting to know her. It'll take a little time.

Return to “Episode Discussion”