No
20%
Meh
25%

Total votes: 60
Avistew

Re: [2x13] Tiny Episode Discussion

Postby Avistew » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:59 am

I was disappointed because I thought this episode would be about Rumple's search for Bae (I don't watch previews, etc, I always wait until the episode so that I don't know what to expect... well it backfired this time!)

Seems they're really dragging it out. It's been so many episode and it moves so slowly! In this episode they literally went from Storybrooke to the airport, and that's it. From the message on the plane you can tell it hadn't taken off, so they were still in the airport.

Now, for the rest of the episode... When we first saw the giant, I figured they went to get him right after he released Hook, since they were already in the right place... Now I think they might have done that right before taking the ship: they needed to make preparations and that could have been one of them.

I didn't like how Charming treated Hook. I thought he was being *beep*, and with Snow being all "oh, but you're different, you're a GOOD person" my first thought was "hey, this very episode proves that he isn't necessarily that good!"
I think at heart Charming is a mostly good person, so it really annoyed me that he was acting that way. I can certainly believe that a different raising could have made his negative traits more developed. I wish Snow's reassurance had been more along the lines of "what matters is the choices we make" rather than "you're difference, you're good and he was bad".

I liked how Mr Gold is completely out of his element, nice for his character development, and it makes more sense now that he wanted Emma to go with him.
But I hated how they treated Belle. I don't know what their plan is about making her thin she was crazy... With Sneezy they didn't do that, they tried to convince him of who he really was and that magic existed, etc... Now I get that Greg is in the same hospital and could overhear, and with Red's developed senses she would have known that... But I think without saying "yes, magic exists" she could have said something like "Wow, this is crazy, but... I believe you".
Belle really needed someone to believe her. She's the kind of person who gives other a second chance, a third chance and so on. She deserves the same kind of treatment, especially from her friends.

And sedating her? I was really upset! She is not actually crazy, and certainly not dangerous, it's totally unethical to treat her like this, in my opinion. The only person who seems to really care about her is away and she's terrified of him, her situation is really bad right now.

I was disappointed that the book didn't make her go "Oh, I love books!" but on the other hand, her cursed self would have never seen one during the 28 years she was in the asylum... Hell, it's a wonder she can even read.
But the fact that she can makes me believe she does have a cursed persona. That persona would have had a childhood and learned to read. She isn't Mo's daughter it seems so who her family is remains a mystery, if she even has one... and if she did, wouldn't they have turned up by now? Whoever they really are, they have to remember their cursed selves as well.

As for Hook, I actually like his attitude. He's being provocative to show that he doesn't care that the others have the upper hand (no pun intended). He's had his revenge and as far as he's concerned he's won, and he's not going to act with fear or even respect towards the SB people. The way he hits on the Sheriff's wife is one of the ways he expresses that... and totally in character, that's how he ended up with a married woman in the first place, after all.
ouat3

Postby ouat3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am

This backstory of Giants & the beanstalk was quite good.

I’m glad that Snow said sorry to Regina that they accused her of murder because that was what “good people” should say if they accused innocent people of murder.

But when Regina knew Henry was out of town and said to Snow “and no one told me (about Henry out of town)?” , Snow said “I don’t think Emma has to run anything by you (regarding Henry)”.

If Snow only said they didn’t tell Regina because they didn’t know where Regina was, I can tolerate that, BUT…then Snow said to Regina “I don’t think Emma has to run anything by you (regarding Henry)….. a.k.a Regina has no right to anything regarding Henry”. Listening to Snow saying that, I was like: “What??? Regina is Henry’s mother legally, so Emma (or anyone else) should ask Regina’s permission about anything regarding Henry (including asking Regina’s permission to take Henry out of town, or anything else)”. And here Snow said that Regina has no right to anything regarding Henry??? Snow shouldn't have said that.
misy

Postby misy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 pm

I don't think Jack is/was Alice.
I think the 'Wise Woman' Jack mentions was Alice.

Jack says she hadn't had the opportunity to try the mushroom, Alice did.

Alice doesn't slay the Jabberwocky in the book, The Jabberwocky is a poem that Alice reads.

Plus, I think Alice may be Grace's mother and Jefferson mentions that Grace lost her mother because of his work.
Jack doesn't seem like type that Jefferson would associate with.
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves"
maaike.b

Postby maaike.b » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm new here but I've been reading a lot of your comments/theories en really liking them.
I liked this episode,the best part for me was Gold, and the fear in his eyes in the last shot.
Maybe he was also thinking about all of the things he has done since he lost Bae; including killing his mother! There comes a moment he has to tell him that...
Do you guys also think that every time we saw Regina, it was actualy Cora? I'm wondering what has happened to Regina; is Cora holding her captive somewhere?
No Happy Ending

Postby No Happy Ending » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:22 pm

maaike.b wrote:Hi everybody,

I'm new here but I've been reading a lot of your comments/theories en really liking them.
I liked this episode,the best part for me was Gold, and the fear in his eyes in the last shot.
Maybe he was also thinking about all of the things he has done since he lost Bae; including killing his mother! There comes a moment he has to tell him that...
Do you guys also think that every time we saw Regina, it was actualy Cora? I'm wondering what has happened to Regina; is Cora holding her captive somewhere?

I don't know. At the beginning of the episode it didn't seem like Regina to me, when she was talking to snow. I don't think Cora has her locked up because in the preview she doesn't seem locked up.
"One Upon a Time is a little bit of heaven with a little bit of hell."
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 pm

I think it was Regina when she was talking to Snow and Charming but I think it might have been Cora when talking to Hook and Anton. It might have still been Regina who was talking to Hook but I think it was definitely Cora when talking to Anton because she had the magic mushroom. I can't think of any reason for Cora to have Regina locked up since she wants Regina to come to her and as stated Regina wasn't locked up in the promo for the next episode but seemed to be willingly working with Cora and Hook.

Speaking of mushrooms something has just occured to me. If their affects are temporary is it safe to assume a mushroom was not used to shrink Regina's father since he was being kept in a box? Referring to Hat Trick.
Love, like a delicate flame and once it's gone, it's gone forever. - Mr. Gold
Avistew

Postby Avistew » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I did think it was Cora, but I'm not sure. It makes you really paranoid to have someone like that who can take anyone's shape. You always wonder where she is. I think if she was impersonating Regina, it should be revealed really soon. Otherwise I'll assume it actually was Regina.

But it would definitely help to see both of them at once.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Why wouldn't it be Regina in all of Regina's scenes? She didn't seem to be acting out of character, and I don't see why Cora would need to disguise herself as her daughter when Regina is perfectly capable of doing all those things herself and with appropriate motivation.
misy

Postby misy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Good point, Sandy :)
Regina did give Henry Sr a piece of mushroom to make him big again, though.......???
Maybe he drank the 'Drink Me' potion to become/remain small?
*The Enchanted Rose*

Postby *The Enchanted Rose* » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm

If you guys check Twitter, the producers comfirmed that it was indeed Regina in those scenes. Apparently, a few fans had the same suspicions as you guys and they tweeted the writers about it. It was definitely Regina.
☠The Dark One: The Beast, a crocodile, the most powerful man in the world, master manipulater, trickster in disguise, desperate soul, broken-hearted father, admirer of a great beauty and a fan of true love ☠
maaike.b

Postby maaike.b » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Hmm, I normally don't watch previews as I like to be surprised, so that's why I've missed some things. (But maybe I should pick up the habit to prevent myself from making stupid comments here, LOL)
It is great you brought up the subject of Henry (R. father)though, as I've always wondered how he came to be in wonderland in the first place.
The spell used to make Anton smaller (wich seems to be permanent) could be the same spell that made Henry smaller in WL. So, if it was Cora who brought her husband (Henry) to wonderland en kept him there; what was her reason?
LibraLady

Postby LibraLady » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm

CTrent29 wrote:
I don't believe he was ever in love with Milah, certainly not the 'true love' of FTL. He loved that he stole her - from the pre Dark One Rumpel, the crippled coward of Milah's village. What a weasel. Yet its the most piratical example we have to date.

I'm sorry but I disagree. In fact, I find this argument implausible and a little desperate. Why is it so important to put down Hook and Milah's love for each other? Because they hurt little ole Rumpie's feelings? She did not love Rumpelstiltskin. Milah loved Hook. Hook loved Milah. She loved Hook so much that she was willing to exchange the magic bean with Rumpel for Hook's life. He loved Milah so much that he spent 300 years (or so) harboring revenge against Rumpel for Milah's murder. He couldn't even destroy Bae's scarf - which would have ruined Rumpel's plans - because it had been made by Milah.

I can't convince anyone that Milah and Hook genuinely loved each other. But I do find these "Hook and Milah didn't really love each other" arguments rather illusional. Do people love Rumpel so much that they want to believe that Hook and Milah's relationship was lust and nothing else . . . to justify Rumpel's murder of her? Is that it? :shrug2:

My take on this has nothing to do with my fanhood for Rumpel. It has to do with the characters as they've been portrayed and the episodes that showcased their relationship. Its okay if you don't agree. I don't see what you see, you don't see what I see. It can make for great discussion but in this case not so much. There's just not enough meat on this bone to prevent degenerating the thread into a I heart Hook / I hate Hook rant. As for 'justifying' Rumpel's murder of Milah..live by the sword, die by the heart-grab. B* had it comin'. I don't mourn her a bit.
Regina: I assume this is your doing?
Gold: Most things are.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 pm

I don't like Hook or Milah but I really do think they loved each other going off by what we've been shown. You don't hold onto a grudge for 300 years to kill the murderer of the woman you were only a bit fond of or enjoyed having sex with. Hook flirting with every woman he comes across doesn't mean anything especially since it's been 300 years since Milah's death. She's dead (and has been for a very long time) he can flirt or have sex with anyone willing to let him, that doesn't mean he didn't love Milah. And when Hook flirts or serves up his sleezy innuendos he's not doing it to get these women into bed with him. He's usually putting on an act, playing a role and trying to get what he's really after (an ally, a compass, an enemy's weakness) or he does it just to mess with people (when he's talking to Emma in the hospital or when he's taunting Charming by trying to "flirt" with Snow).

When Rumpelstiltskin asked about Milah Hook lied about her death to protect her and was willing to die with the secret that she was still alive to continue protecting her even after he was gone. Milah seemed to be high level member of the crew, going by her expensive looking clothing and the way she ordered people about and they obeyed meaning she was much more than the Captain's plaything. Milah risked her life by revealing herself to Rumpelstiltskin to save Hook's life even though it would reveal that she hadn't been taken unwillingly like she had made Rumpelstiltskin believe all those years ago.

I would have liked to have seen more of their relationship development (and maybe we'll get that in a Hook flashback) but I think what we have been shown proves that they loved each other or at the very least Hook loved Milah. It doesn't make me love them or even like them but it doesn't make me brush off their feelings for each other as superficial.
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 pm

There's just not enough meat on this bone to prevent degenerating the thread into a I heart Hook / I hate Hook rant.

Really? I've been encountering a great deal of them on this message board, on other message boards and on many blogs.

As for 'justifying' Rumpel's murder of Milah..live by the sword, die by the heart-grab. B* had it comin'. I don't mourn her a bit.

You know, it's one thing not to mourn Milah's death. It's another to justify her murder . . . which is what you just did with your "live by the sword, die by the heart-grab" comment. And I found it a little tasteless.
mysticalflute

Postby mysticalflute » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Regina was really Regina in this one, not Cora in disguise. In case anyone was wondering:

Tority Prism ‏@TorityPrism

@DJKidsparkle Actually central time finishes at the same time as Eastern time. Was that really supposed to be Regina and not Cora in 2x13?
Expand

10 Feb Kalinda Vazquez Kalinda Vazquez ‏@DJKidsparkle

@TorityPrism Yup! Regina was really Regina in this one! Also clearly I am time zone illiterate...

Kalinda helped write the episode.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4386717/ - My fanfiction!
Intervention: AU - Emma and Snow in ACFTL.
Double Trouble: Rumbelle/Snowing double date!
Settling Down: AU - Emma and Neal.
The Truth: AU - Emma and Henry.
And more!
Belleflower

Postby Belleflower » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 pm

^I had a feeling it was Regina. I know some people wanted to think it was Cora.
♥ Team Dearie | Team Rumbelle | Team Beauty | Team Clan Charming | Team Snowing | Team Mad Hatter | Team Neal Cassady ♥
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Ah well there goes that theory. Cora's constant shapeshifitng has me paranoid.

I really thought it was Regina as Cora when she went to go see the giant 1. Because of the mushroom and 2. because she wouldn't go as herself because she's the one who kidnapped the giant in the first place so he obviously wouldn't trust anything she gave him.
misy

Postby misy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 pm

And sedating her? I was really upset! She is not actually crazy, and certainly not dangerous, it's totally unethical to treat her like this, in my opinion

The nurse is a nod to Nurse Ratched in 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.
Medicating Belle was depicting how Nurse Ratched treated the patients in the movie.

She was seen in 'Skin Deep' too, as well as another character from the movie, Cheif Bromden - he was the guy sewwping the floor when Regina went to the mental ward and they revealed Belle was in the room.

BTW - That movie was based on a book by Ken Keasey, who was friends with the real Neal Cassady.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12 pm

misy wrote:
And sedating her? I was really upset! She is not actually crazy, and certainly not dangerous, it's totally unethical to treat her like this, in my opinion

The nurse is a nod to Nurse Ratched in 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.
Medicating Belle was depicting how Nurse Ratched treated the patients in the movie.

She was seen in 'Skin Deep' too, as well as another character from the movie, Cheif Bromden - he was the guy sewwping the floor when Regina went to the mental ward and they revealed Belle was in the room.

BTW - That movie was based on a book by Ken Keasey, who was friends with the real Neal Cassady.

Ok this I knew but I just now finally looked up the synopsis for the book. She sounds like an awful nurse. Not saying she looked all that nice in Skin Deep and this episode but she 100% definitely needs to stay away from Belle.
misy

Postby misy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 am

Ok this I knew but I just now finally looked up the synopsis for the book. She sounds like an awful nurse. Not saying she looked all that nice in Skin Deep and this episode but she 100% definitely needs to stay away from Belle.

I agree.

Return to “Episode Discussion”