No
2%
Meh
13%

Total votes: 46
Aura Liuli

Re: [3x06] Ariel Discussion

Postby Aura Liuli » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:13 am

BoPeeps wrote:(New to posting...been reading a while...hello all!)

welcome bo peeps. since most of everything you wrote was exactly what i had planned to,....well then, thumbs up and +10k :)

i did like ariel as portrayed by joanna garcia though, especially in the scenes with snow. eric? yeah....blech. zero onscreen chemistry, and the dialogue... ugh.
for me, the weakest scenes in the ep involved the ball and the dance.
On a day
when the wind is perfect,
the sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty.
Today is such a day.
tcweh

Postby tcweh » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 am

It's so funny how Rumpel is so stale in neverland, to the point that Regina has to save him, that would NEVER happen anywhere else.

Also Regina, claiming you and him are the two greatest magicians? How disrespectful to your dear mother!

I loved the EQ flashbacks as always, she is amazing as Ursula, glad Lana's dream came true :)
BoPeeps

Postby BoPeeps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 am

Hello Aura Liuli :) A mini salute to your thumbs up! Thanks...Great minds think alike and all that :) Yeah, the ball was a snoozer. (laughing)

And yes, yellowjillybean, I agree, they have been under-using Regina even though they were mapping out necessary, other storylines in the forefront.

I also agree that it was good to include the *missing voice* for Ariel, though it seemed oddly timed. But the writers only have so many pages of script to establish a new character when they move so fast.

Contrary to a few other posters, I thought the ripping out the heart scene was really a great little expose' on the characters true souls. And those Lost Boys are murderous thugs until whatever spell Pan has cast is broken. Pan uses them for his own malicious intents, but they are quite the brutal little buggers in their current form.

And before they wrap up Neverland (but hopefully not totally destroy it for future adventures)) I'd like to know what *Lady Bell* has been doing on the island all these years as well. She was always a feisty little fairy! Feisty is Good in OUAT :)
***Always in Search of a Good Flock***
RebeccaMatthews

Postby RebeccaMatthews » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 am

TBH, I wasn't too pleased that Lana was playing Ursula just because the writers seem to make her and Rumple the villains in almost every story, so I was kinda happy that the statue came to life at the end and told Regina not to play dress up as her again.

I loved that Regina showed Rumple that "Belle" was really Pan's shadow. Although I hated the part where she was teaching Emma magic cuz she was teaching Emma the same things that Rumple taught her, whereas Rumple took a different approach with Emma last season when trying to protect him and the others at the pawn shop.

Love that Joanna Garcia played Ariel. And the references to The Little Mermaid movie. Kinda disappointed that Sebastian didn't make some sort of appearance. And wasn't Ariel a princess in the Hans Christian Anderson book? I know she is in the Disney movie.

Her outfit in her human form was totally cute, but her dress to the ball was borderline hideous. WTF was the costume designer thinking with that gown?

With Snow's confession, I'm totally betting that she's going to be pregnant by at least mid-season next year.

Ick, they brought back the cheesy CGI castles. And the water looked totally like a pool. The only thing I really liked in terms of CGI this week was Ursula coming to "life" and threatening Regina.

ETA: How did Snow manage to get a haircut on Neverland? Ginny's hair looked shorted this episode, like it had been recently cut. Couldn't she have at least waited until they were back in present day Storybrooke before getting a cut. I know this is nitpicking, but really!
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:40 pm

This episode was good.

I've never been a big fan of the Little Mermaid so I wasn't that excited about Ariel, but Joanna Garcia did a good job and now I'd like to see more of her. Like some other people here I think Ariel and Eric's scenes were the weakest part of the episode, they were just bland and I think it's because we have seen nothing on the show to make us root for Ariel and Eric as a couple, the whole "love at first sight" is a pretty weak motivation to explain their feelings specially compared to most couples on the show, who developed their relationships over time: we have seen how Snow and Charming met and fell in love, the same with Rumpel and Belle, Regina and Daniel were already a couple when we met them so it was easy to see how much they loved each other, same for Peter and Ruby.

But with Ariel and Eric all we get is "I saved his life and I fell in love" and the cheesy "I dreamed of you", even in the Disney movie Ariel had a better reason, she had observed Eric for a long time and she liked what she saw, and Eric saw Ariel for a second after she saved him (and he remembered her voice), which explained why he was interested in Ariel when she got her legs. But in the show they made it very clear that he was unconscious all the time and never saw Ariel. Besides, it's hard to develop any chemistry with an actor you just met, and Eric is not that interesting, at least for now.

And the costumes of the ball scene were awful, I think it was the short skirts, in all the ball scenes we have seen so far the dresses were always very princess-like, very elegant, but this ones looked more casual and they looked really out of place.

Look at me, I can't stop nitpicking even when I like the episodes :lol:

I like that Regina was just a fake Ursula, Lana was having the time of her life when she was doing that scene and it shows, and I love Yvette Nicole Brown (how I want to see her in Community once again) so I was really happy when I realized she is voicing the real Ursula.

The rest of the scenes were good, I liked a lot the cave scene and the fact that the darkest secret was not about something bad you did in the past but something about yourself you don't want to admit, it was very touching when Snow admitted she wanted to have another chance to be a mother, it's obvious she really wants to raise a child and no matter how much she loves Emma, their relationship will never be what Snow wants.
And Neal has go back to his usual bland self. Hope they change that because I really want to like the character.
Last edited by Caroline on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
Her Mayorness

Postby Her Mayorness » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 pm

I see nobody complains about the EQ hating Snow THIS time - what's with "enough of flashbacks" jammer?

"Fate worse than death" - WELCOME back medallion, Wraith but wait! Something's missing - Rumple's dagger.
Hilarious - When Regina hits Rumple on the shoulder for not bringing it with him. Regina turns into the teacher to both Emma (loved the scene, SwanQueeners have something to rejoice over) and Rumple. Wasn't she a genius for showing Rumple who "Belle" really was.
URSULANA was brilliant, the writers have incorporated "Ursula" and Ursula in the most unexpected way. I love the fact Regina isn't really Ursula and got a slap from the real Ursula for impersonating her. :lol:
All scenes with Snow and Ariel were tear-jerker. Everything was so lovely and I would really love to see Ariel later on. :heart: Salad TRIDENT/mini TRIDENT :heart: *Trident in Regina's neck* 8-)

Hook broke my heart on confessing Emma his secret. And we could see her turmoil was just about to start, and the love triangle has just begun!

Love the fact MM wants another baby, but did not really like what it seems that MM wants to replace Emma's growing up with another baby. Like she dismissed her daughter..
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm

^^ In my case it is because Ariel was the focus of the episode, even though they used Regina and Snow to conduct the story, it wasn't really about them, it was about Ariel.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Her Mayorness wrote:Love the fact MM wants another baby, but did not really like what it seems that MM wants to replace Emma's growing up with another baby. Like she dismissed her daughter..

That's what made it her deepest darkest secret. She feels guilty for feeling that way, but I think I'd feel exactly the same in that situation. If I had missed everything, I'd want another shot at it, even if it's with another baby and not my first-born.

I LOVE Ariel!!! I was afraid I would disappointed because my expectations were very high, but I loved Joanna as Ariel.

I really wish that we had been introduced to Ariel and Eric with the shipwreck scene, but perhaps they are saving that for a Flashback scene in another episode. I hope it makes us more invested in Eric as a character, because right now, I don't care about him except in the context of him making Ariel happy.
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
Justcurious

Postby Justcurious » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 pm

So Regina wasn't Ursala. I must say though, she played the part really, really well (Lana is so awesome).
I have to admit, I think that Snow and Ariel got away rather easily. Why couldn't Regina just turn back into that Octopus thing? At the very least, I doubt that she doesn't know any spells that could stop them while they were in the water.
There was no Sabastian or Flounder :(
Have to admit that Ariel seems to be rather selfish and whimsical. She put the bracelet on Snow without even asking Snow about it first when it would change the course of Snow's life forever.
Speaking of Regina, so she knew about Ariel and how mermaids can travel through realms, why didn't she bring it before when Tink was around? It's not like that saying it around the Charmings would be damaging, she wants the same thing in the end either way.
Also, too bad she wasn't there for the echo cave, would have been neat to hear her secret.
Awe poor Hook :(
Regina and Pan haven't really interacted at all. Too bad, I think a scene between them could be quite good.
Montreat11

Postby Montreat11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Spinning Folly wrote:The dresses for the ball scene. They looked like nightgowns. Ugly nightgowns.

I didn't like the dresses either, if only because my first thought was "One of you is on the run and the other just crawled out of the ocean, where did you get those!"

My friend casually replied "They're princesses, the birds obviously made them"

Snows dress did make me happy with all the hidden mickey's on it though...
Her Mayorness

Postby Her Mayorness » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

So thats my new favorite episode of the season! I usually hate Regina, but I have to say that I absolutely loved her in this episode. Teaching Emma magic, stopping Rumple, coming up with a plan, enacting the plan...yeah she's the only one doing anything right now.

@Montreat11 - Aside the hate for Regina, she was actually the smartest of them all. On seeing the Charmings are running round in circles with all their "right thing" tripe, she ditched them and looked for Rumple, who turns out to be so confused and totally unlike the Rumple we all love to hate. SHE had had a plan all along (including an exit plan actually), she'd known mermaids travel realms (at this point I am really bewildered that the teacher knew nothing about it), she knew how to use that shell (just like Neal), she made Rumple kind of believe in himself by telling him he wasn't going to die, but I had to laugh when she told him she would be the only one to kill him. LOL, Regina -killing the Dark One, who pretty much appears to turn into the Grey One in S3. :lol: Malevolent Imp.
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
Her Mayorness

Postby Her Mayorness » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Justcurious wrote:
I have to admit, I think that Snow and Ariel got away rather easily. Why couldn't Regina just turn back into that Octopus thing?

Good question, I thought about it too.
Have to admit that Ariel seems to be rather selfish and whimsical. She put the bracelet on Snow without even asking Snow about it first when it would change the course of Snow's life forever.

Ariel probably thought Snow would love under the sea because Ariel knows this world. It's obvious her knowledge is very limited, so I want to excuse her. Had to laugh when she stole the mini trident. :lol:

Speaking of Regina, so she knew about Ariel and how mermaids can travel through realms, why didn't she bring it before when Tink was around? It's not like that saying it around the Charmings would be damaging, she wants the same thing in the end either way.
Also, too bad she wasn't there for the echo cave, would have been neat to hear her secret.

Maybe she wanted to grab Henry and leave them all on the island? Wouldn't be too surprised if that was her secret plan. Maybe that was her secret at the moment and yes, agreed - would have loved to have heard her secret, but I doubt she would have been on board of saving Neal. Why would she care about him one bit, especially now that she knows he is Henry's father. She's had enough trouble with his bio mother.

Regina and Pan haven't really interacted at all. Too bad, I think a scene between them could be quite good.

I can't wait for that scene. Regina is obviously oblivious to anyone else's fear of Pan, and she thinks he's a smug teenager. I somehow think the endgame will be Regina's killing of Pan. She'll find the way. :twisted: (which fits into Lana's favourite kill) Pan hasn't interacted with MM, Charming and Regina.
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
OrangeSun

Postby OrangeSun » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Mayorness - I would absolutely love if Regina gets a chance to be the savior and get them off the island. If she did one good deal redemption sort of thing on Neverland it would out her in such a good place for the Robin set up etc. I'd love for her to be the one to kill or whatever to Pan also.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm

And my favorite recapper was FAST this week: http://www.tv.com/shows/once-upon-a-tim ... 350703330/

Lost of good stuff in there about Ariel, the cave of Echos, Pan, and the show's pairings.

She also wasn't a fan of the dresses:
Guys WTF was up with the costumes this week? Did OUAT's costume trailer get struck by lighting and burn down to a sizzling pile of melted gemstones and ash, forcing the producers to run out at the last minute and ask one of their teen daughters to lend them her homecoming gown? Even the extras looked like they'd shown up late to a Halloween Party. It was not on-point.
Last edited by Heidirs on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montreat11

Postby Montreat11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Her Mayorness wrote:
So thats my new favorite episode of the season! I usually hate Regina, but I have to say that I absolutely loved her in this episode. Teaching Emma magic, stopping Rumple, coming up with a plan, enacting the plan...yeah she's the only one doing anything right now.

@Montreat11 - Aside the hate for Regina, she was actually the smartest of them all. On seeing the Charmings are running round in circles with all their "right thing" tripe, she ditched them and looked for Rumple, who turns out to be so confused and totally unlike the Rumple we all love to hate. SHE had had a plan all along (including an exit plan actually), she'd known mermaids travel realms (at this point I am really bewildered that the teacher knew nothing about it), she knew how to use that shell (just like Neal), she made Rumple kind of believe in himself by telling him he wasn't going to die, but I had to laugh when she told him she would be the only one to kill him. LOL, Regina -killing the Dark One, who pretty much appears to turn into the Grey One in S3. :lol: Malevolent Imp.

I loved the Malevolent Imp quote! Actually I loved that whole conversation and the fact that she revealed fakebelle (seriously fakebelles smile was a dead give away). And that even though they are all working together now she's not forgetting that things will change when they get back...I caught that comment about how the only one that would kill Rumple would be her.

Yes, don't misunderstand me mayorness, I don't want you thinking I'm a hater over here. When I say I hate her character its more of a I love to hate her because they've done such a good job on her character. It seems to me that if they do good on the villians we should clench our teeth when they are on screen. But this was one of the rare times when I loved her, because as you pointed out, she's the only one doing anything! Regina was stellar this episode.
Xinnes88x

Postby Xinnes88x » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:04 pm

So they never went back as to who was in the crate next to Neal. Well here is my theory: I still believe it is Eric in the crate that was next to Neal and last night's episode sets it up pretty well for my theory. Pan being so crazy and manipulative as he is captured Eric from Storybrook and has him as a prisoner because he knew that Regina was going to summon Aerial to go back to Storybrook. Aerial said to her...why should I do this for you...and Regina told her because Eric is in Storybrook. So my theory is this...Aerial is going back to Storybrook to find that Eric is not actually there...and that Regina and Stumple lied to her. Aerial puts together a plan to bring characters to Neverland to save Henry and the "Good Crew" and Regina and Stumple get stuck in Neverland.
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Does anyone else think that Pan may use Snow's secret of wanting another child against her or Emma in the near future?

In some versions (I can't remember if it's Barrie's or not) Peter was lost as a small child (perhaps an infant) and when he returned to his parents, he saw they had another child and had replaced him, in his mind anyway. He left and went to NL because he felt unloved, replacable.
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm

There was so much that I loved about this episode that I keep remembering things at random. I should be working and I'm thinking about Hook and the secret he revealed in the Echo cave.

He called Milah his first love, rather than his true love, which leads me to think he doesn't see a difference, and I tend to agree. Milah was his true love until she died. Death is the only thing that can truly separate you from your true love. Once he finally healed enough to open his heart again, he could find true love again. My heart broke for him knowing that Emma still has feelings for Neal. That's something I've never felt for Neal, only for Bae when he was abandoned by Rumple.

This Neal/Emma/Hook triangle has some real potential it didn't have before. Hook is still a rogue, but he has honor. He seems like the type to put Emma's happiness before his own. While Neal is now going to fight for Emma's heart, I think Hook might just sneak in there without actually trying.

Neal has a lot going for him: He's Emma's first love. He's Henry's father. Emma has admitted she still has feelings for him. But he also hurt her terribly. He betrayed her and that's hard for her to forget. Hook betrayed her only after she first betrayed him. He went back to a place he feared with his worst enemy to help her save her son.

I see the potential for a lot of great material ahead. I hope some of it makes me root for Neal along the way, because right now, I'm leaning toward CaptainSwan instead of Swanfire.
Prince Ali

Postby Prince Ali » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Loved the episode, you guys basically hit on all the things I wanted to say about it itself.

In terms of discussion: I don't know that mermaids can bring others with them when they travel between realms. I would imagine that they do this just by swimming underwater, and I don't think humans would be able to hold their breath that long. I think only they themselves can travel between worlds, and thats why Regina didn't tell anyone; it's not that mermaids can get them off the island, its that mermaids can travel between worlds and retrieve objects for them. At least, thats the jist of it that I got from the episode.

Also, I love how they're setting up the dreaded "love triangle." It's so complicated and the feelings on all sides are so convoluted and twisted that I think it's really going to work and it won't be resolved any time soon, which is great. I personally find myself shipping Emma+Hook, Emma+Neal, and Emma+happinessthatdoesntdependonanotherperson all at the same time. I'm excited to see where this story goes.

Final note about the dresses: yeah they were very different from what we've seen of formal balls on OUAT before and it reminded me of a junior prom, but I like that they switched it up. Different lands will have different customs and different balls will have different levels of formality. It didn't bug me too much.
mysticalflute

Postby mysticalflute » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I think I remember reading an interview with Joanna where she said it wasn't recommended that mermaids take others with them when they travel, so Ariel would not be a way back to Storybrooke, nor a way to get Belle to Neverland (which would be pointless anyway).
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4386717/ - My fanfiction!
Intervention: AU - Emma and Snow in ACFTL.
Double Trouble: Rumbelle/Snowing double date!
Settling Down: AU - Emma and Neal.
The Truth: AU - Emma and Henry.
And more!

Return to “Episode Discussion”