[4x20] Mother Discussion

Discuss and rate Once Upon a Time episodes

Did you like [4x20] Mother?

Yes
17
77%
No
4
18%
Meh
1
5%
 
Total votes: 22
User avatar
The Wiz of Oz
Posts: 3228
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 am

[4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon May 04, 2015 1:03 am

What did you think of [4x20] Mother?

Please use the hide tag if you discuss future episodes
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
User avatar
The Wiz of Oz
Posts: 3228
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon May 04, 2015 1:17 am

I'm secretly hope with this new book and story Neal will return
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
User avatar
lilpo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby lilpo » Mon May 04, 2015 6:18 am

Oh my God. It was fantastic.

I don't understand how/why Cora made it back to Wonderland. I understand why Regina wanted her dead right before casting the curse, but why did Cora go back?
Regina poisoned herself, and therefore she'll always be infertile?
As much as I like Regina, can I say a huge thank-you to Cora for pointing out that only Regina was standing in the way of her own happiness? I mean, damn. Thank you and THANK you Regina for finally realizing it.
I'm happy Zelena didn't vanish. It would have gone just so wrong.

Mmm Hook I'm glad you were able to bite back at Rumpelstiltskin but things are going to go bad now...
Also yes yes that was a nod from Charming to Hook. Bromance blooms. :D

Still, when it comes to Rumpelstiltskin, you could say that in a way he's trying to protect others from the wrath of the Dark One. If he loses that small part that's left of himself, and he's just someone pure evil, who knows what he'll do.
But why is he in physical pain? It just looks too sudden, I mean, he'd lived for hundreds of years, and nearly three decades without full power, why is he suddenly in pain?
Maybe it's because he's actually trying to destroy other people's happiness in order to achieve his own, and the "transformation" (OMG Beauty and the Beast reference) is speeding up. I mean, Regina was looking for the author too but she wasn't willing to destroy and change the balance.

Poor Lily. I really pity her. I love that she reconciled with her mother, and I love how Maleficent was so willing to let go of the past pain and move on.
"And I can teach you how to be a scary dragon bitch."
:D Oh show. I'll always love you.

The Wiz of Oz wrote:I'm secretly hope with this new book and story Neal will return


I believe that Rumpelstiltskin would ask for young Baelfire. He always wanted to make up for abandoning him, so if it happens, he'll probably come back as a teenager.
Entropy isn't what it used to be.
User avatar
The Wiz of Oz
Posts: 3228
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon May 04, 2015 4:01 pm

lilpo wrote:Oh my God. It was fantastic.

I don't understand how/why Cora made it back to Wonderland. I understand why Regina wanted her dead right before casting the curse, but why did Cora go back?
Regina poisoned herself, and therefore she'll always be infertile?
As much as I like Regina, can I say a huge thank-you to Cora for pointing out that only Regina was standing in the way of her own happiness? I mean, damn. Thank you and THANK you Regina for finally realizing it.
I'm happy Zelena didn't vanish. It would have gone just so wrong.

Mmm Hook I'm glad you were able to bite back at Rumpelstiltskin but things are going to go bad now...
Also yes yes that was a nod from Charming to Hook. Bromance blooms. :D

Still, when it comes to Rumpelstiltskin, you could say that in a way he's trying to protect others from the wrath of the Dark One. If he loses that small part that's left of himself, and he's just someone pure evil, who knows what he'll do.
But why is he in physical pain? It just looks too sudden, I mean, he'd lived for hundreds of years, and nearly three decades without full power, why is he suddenly in pain?
Maybe it's because he's actually trying to destroy other people's happiness in order to achieve his own, and the "transformation" (OMG Beauty and the Beast reference) is speeding up. I mean, Regina was looking for the author too but she wasn't willing to destroy and change the balance.

Poor Lily. I really pity her. I love that she reconciled with her mother, and I love how Maleficent was so willing to let go of the past pain and move on.
"And I can teach you how to be a scary dragon bitch."
:D Oh show. I'll always love you.

The Wiz of Oz wrote:I'm secretly hope with this new book and story Neal will return


I believe that Rumpelstiltskin would ask for young Baelfire. He always wanted to make up for abandoning him, so if it happens, he'll probably come back as a teenager.

Cora said she got back VIA the white rabbit. The white rabbit is a realm jumper
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
User avatar
lilpo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby lilpo » Mon May 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Yes, I remember that. My question is why she went back there. What did she have to earn? Was she, like, angry at Regina for what she did to spite her? I can guess that the White Rabbit wasn't around during the "Queen of Hearts" flashback, otherwise she wouldn't have asked Hook to help her.

On another note, I forgot to add:

How much I loved Emma using her healing power! Badass princess. And her reconciliation with her mother was just so wonderful!

Regina mentions a church... I'm not much into religion, but when you talk about a church, you're actually referring to Christianism, right? I remember in the first season, Red and Granny (if not other characters as well) have said "Gods". Hmm...

Isaac is one shady man. I like him but I feel like he's not gonna make it through the end of the season.

I feel like I've enjoyed this half season more than any other, besides Season 1. My love for it actually reaches my love for Season 1. And this episode could really count as one of my favourites, and it's kinda strange, because I can't say I'm a big fan of Regina centrics... Anyway. It was awesome and I can't wait for the finale!
Entropy isn't what it used to be.
User avatar
RebeccaMatthews
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 am
Location: Surrey. BC

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby RebeccaMatthews » Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Yet another flashback of Regina being evil? Only now realizing that she's standing in her way of her own happiness in Storybrooke? (And making herself sterile so she can't have children to spite her mother? Really?)

I'm struggling to understand how a marriage to Regina would make any man king in Once Upon a Time. Literally her only claim to Leopold's thrown was her marriage to him, and then the thrown essentially became Snow's. If Regina had any proper claim to that thrown, she wouldn't have needed Snow to give it up in season 2.

And really? All they needed was riled up Savior Darkness that Regina got from Lily? And how is all of Lily's darkness Emma's? Are they really saying that Emma was supposed to be evil and dark all along? Ugh.

My favourite bits of this episode were the bits that involved Snowing and Maleficent, Hook and Emma, Maleficent and Lily. Pretty much every scene that didn't involve Regina and Rumple (which, without the exact numbers, is like less than half the episode).
Image
PunkMaister
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby PunkMaister » Mon May 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Well the highlights go like this.

1. Loved the mother/daughter reconnection both Emma and Lilith had.
2. That Regina made herself sterile to spite her mother was insane.
3. I agree that there has to be some logic behind Rumpelstiltskin dying leaving only the demon so far there does not seem to be any unless the dark one is actually some kind of symbiotic entity like Venom.

Spoiler:
Am I the only one getting a very strong star trek mirror universe vibe from the upcoming episode given the fact of the total role reversal in which the villains are the good guys, and the good guys are the villains. In Star trek the humans had become very warlike and had created a terrain empire as opposed to the federation of planets
User avatar
Her Mayorness
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm
Location: The Forest
Contact:

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby Her Mayorness » Fri May 08, 2015 7:06 pm

A Regina-centric never fails. Naturally.
Loved everything about the episode except the infertility part, but even that was soothed by Regina's attitude towards it - yes, she has a child and that's so :heart: .

Sparing Zelena from being written out speaks tons of Regina's character development and one huge leap towards her redemption.

Don't even get me started on Lana's stellar performance in my favourite scene with Cora, taking the potion, the whole scene intertwined with Zelena in the nut cell.

Not sure about Cora. Her intention was clear, but did she really mean it when she thought the sheriff was a good match? For the Evil Queen at her worst maybe even yes..
Let's not forget it is the first time that Cora has met the EVIL Queen. I bet she was a little surprised. In the end, she did give her good advice.

Loved the fact the Author is the EQ biggest fan LOL.
Also, her happy ending is on point.
Brilliant. Everything was brilliant about the episode.
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
User avatar
CTrent29
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby CTrent29 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes, I remember that. My question is why she went back there. What did she have to earn? Was she, like, angry at Regina for what she did to spite her? I can guess that the White Rabbit wasn't around during the "Queen of Hearts" flashback, otherwise she wouldn't have asked Hook to help her.


Why should Cora hang around the Enchanted Forest? :shrug2: Regina had more or less told her to stay out of her life, following the incident with Nottingham. And at least Cora had a kingdom to rule in Wonderland. The only reason she left Wonderland for the second time is that Regina had sent Hook to kill her.
User avatar
OnceUponAFan
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby OnceUponAFan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:05 pm

I love the Regina centric episodes. But one scene I don't really understand. Snow and charming help Mal find Lily and when they do and she's a dragon why the hell does snow run up to her? Serves her right for getting hit. What was she hoping to do by standing in front of a dragon?
Where I come from, a simple 'thank you' would suffice
Where you come from people bathe in the river and use pine cones for money.
User avatar
Her Mayorness
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm
Location: The Forest
Contact:

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby Her Mayorness » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:34 pm

I think it was because she sent her in another world and she kinda thought she owed her and she impulsively went to her.. without thinking.
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
User avatar
OnceUponAFan
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby OnceUponAFan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I just don't understand what she was even planning on doing. At first I thought she was running to stand in front of Mal to somehow protect her but then she doesn't even do that. It's just a tad confusing what was going through her head.
Where I come from, a simple 'thank you' would suffice
Where you come from people bathe in the river and use pine cones for money.
Robert60
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby Robert60 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:22 am

The Wiz of Oz wrote:I'm secretly hope with this new book and story Neal will return
I would like Neal to return but I just don't see it. It would hurt the integrity of the show. I was rooting for Neal but the female fans of the show wanted Emma with Hook. Bad boys always win the heart of the fair maiden. I don't see them digging up Neal and asking Dr Whale to bring him back.
User avatar
CTrent29
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby CTrent29 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:27 am

Robert60 wrote:
The Wiz of Oz wrote:I'm secretly hope with this new book and story Neal will return
I would like Neal to return but I just don't see it. It would hurt the integrity of the show. I was rooting for Neal but the female fans of the show wanted Emma with Hook. Bad boys always win the heart of the fair maiden. I don't see them digging up Neal and asking Dr Whale to bring him back.



Neal was just as much of a "bad boy" as Hook . . . in his own way.
aeverett
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby aeverett » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am

Her Mayorness wrote:A Regina-centric never fails. Naturally.
Loved everything about the episode except the infertility part, but even that was soothed by Regina's attitude towards it - yes, she has a child and that's so :heart: .

While I liked the Regina stuff too and thought it eminently sensible, I don't like it pared with the Zelena pregnancy. It will be used as an excuse to make Regina adopt the baby at some future date. I mean, seriously, image a ten year old Roland getting a cold and passing it onto his sibling (or vice versa). Regina makes him home made soup, but not Zelena's child. She lets Roland sleep indoors on a particularly cold winter night, but Zelena's child stays with the Merry Men to get frostbite? Seriously, Regina can't get rid of the child once it's born, so they're working to make Regina have a reason to adopt it or at least bond with it in her home like she has so easily taken to Roland.

From my perspective, that child shouldn't be Regina's burden. It's part of Cora but not tempered by Henry Sr. I'm not saying it's evil, but for Regina's character, there's nothing to love.

Belle has more of a backbone. She told Regina she had too much self respect to help her in Bleeding Through until Regina apologized and showed her their common cause. If that baby spends even one night in Henry's old crib, it's the worst moment of the show, because the one thing Regina has always had is her unwillingness to harm herself, her resiliency (what made her heart so valuable to Zelena). Taking that child in will destroy that. It would take a strong character and turn her into a pansy.
User avatar
OnceUponAFan
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby OnceUponAFan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Having Regina care for an innocent baby who has done nothing wrong will make her a pancy? You are messed up.
Where I come from, a simple 'thank you' would suffice
Where you come from people bathe in the river and use pine cones for money.
aeverett
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby aeverett » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:54 pm

OnceUponAFan wrote:Having Regina care for an innocent baby who has done nothing wrong will make her a pancy? You are messed up.

Firstly, please argue your point rather than resort to character assassination with me.

Secondly, the baby's innocence is not the issue. It is part of two people who have hurt Regina over and over again. You can't tell me it won't have any of Cora's mannerisms or features, or Zelena's for that matter. Every time that kid displays anything that isn't Robin or some unknown ancestor, Regina gets hurt. She shouldn't have to face that if she's now one of the good guys. Heroes are supposed to get happy endings, not compromises with fate. That child is not a happy ending for Regina. Maybe for somebody else, but not Regina. There is too much pain in Regina's past for that.
User avatar
Her Mayorness
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm
Location: The Forest
Contact:

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby Her Mayorness » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Oh Aeverett - I think you misunderstood what I wanted to say. The "she has a child" part referred to "No, I already have a child, Henry". What I meant was the cool way in which she dismissed the fact she was infertile but everything is all right because she has her son.


Otherwise, I loathe the baby plot and hopefully they find the way to fix it.
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
aeverett
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 am

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby aeverett » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:23 am

Her Mayorness wrote:Oh Aeverett - I think you misunderstood what I wanted to say. The "she has a child" part referred to "No, I already have a child, Henry". What I meant was the cool way in which she dismissed the fact she was infertile but everything is all right because she has her son.


Otherwise, I loathe the baby plot and hopefully they find the way to fix it.

No, I wasn't referencing your post. I too love the acknowledgement of Henry as hr child. Now if only the Charmings would remember this and give him back full time. I loved the background stuff with Cora as well.

What I didn't like was the baby plot and Emma claiming that her parents were justified in ruining an innocent baby's life just to ensure she turned out good the way she did when she healed Snow. Healing her was right and giving her another chance would have been consistent, but she forgave. That should have been withheld until the Charmings earned their forgiveness.
User avatar
RebeccaMatthews
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 am
Location: Surrey. BC

Re: [4x20] Mother Discussion

Postby RebeccaMatthews » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:33 pm

aeverett wrote:I too love the acknowledgement of Henry as hr child. Now if only the Charmings would remember this and give him back full time.


Regina was forced into undoing her illegal adoption of Henry when she had to stop Pan's curse in 3A. Just because Henry remember's Regina raising him when he got his memories back doesn't she's his primary caregiver anymore. Besides, why should Henry go back to living with Regina when Henry literally had to beg to get let back into Regina's house after Robin went back to his wife? Henry's role in their relationship isn't the child, he's there to keep Regina happy and make sure she doesn't do anything evil. What child should have to spend all their free time combing through a book to find clues to rewrite history to make their mother a "hero"?

JMO, Emma is the more fit mother because her primary concern when it comes to Henry is making sure Henry is happy. When Henry was with Emma in New York, and had no memories of Storybrooke, he was happy and had lots of friends. Even after Emma came out of the ice cave Elsa created, Emma made sure to see how Henry was doing. Regina wouldn't even take calls from the Charmings to see how Henry was doing after Robin, and sent a bird to say she didn't want to see Henry. If something had happened to Henry and wasn't told during the time she wasn't taking their calls, she would blame them for her not knowing instead of accepting responsibility for not taking their calls.

So why do the Charming's need to "give him back full time" when Henry's better off in their care?
Image

Return to “Episode Discussion”