[6x13] I'll-Boding Patterns Discussion

Discuss and rate Once Upon a Time episodes

Did you like [6x13] I'll-Boding Patterns?

Poll runs till Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 am

Yes
80%
No
No votes
Meh
20%

Total votes: 5
The Wiz of Oz

[6x13] I'll-Boding Patterns Discussion

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:10 am

What did you think of [6x13] I'll-Boding Patterns?

Please use the hide tag if you discuss future episodes
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
The Wiz of Oz

Re: [6x13] I'll-Boding Patterns Discussion

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 am

I feel some type of way about this episode since the memory of Bae was spit on for no reason.. this gets a meh
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
facelesscreature

Postby facelesscreature » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 am

Wow! I loved this episode.

Rumple and Bae's relationship has a whole new meaning now. Rumple literally turned evil to stop his son from doing the same! The parallels with Gideon show that Rumple still would remain a villain to keep his son from hurting himself.

To be fair, it could be argued that Rumple could've used the memory potion on both of them to forget. However, Rumple's reasoning is still selfish; therefore, dark magic has corrupted him beyond saving.

WR Robin and the EQ are going to be excellent together. The show continues to tease the fans.

I'm still speculating that Rumple will somehow be involved with Emma's vision, and possibly, her death.
NickyHelp

Postby NickyHelp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 am

Hook still didn't tell her about her grandfather. Not even to Charming. More secrets, more lies.

I guess Blue is not history. There still seems to be hope for her. And so much for the Shady Blue nonsense when her Energy is light magic, it's perfectly clear and obvious that she is not shady nor she is the Black Fairy.

Like Gideon did, Bae somehow controlled his father. And when he took the memory potion, it reminded me of how Regina and Zelena met as kids before Cora took their memories.

And I thought I can trust Beowulf.

Like the previous episode, we finally get to see an event happen on screen which we never saw in the first season. The First Ogre Wars.

It was great to see Rumple showing some hesitation on killing Beowulf. Right before Bae got him to do this.
And it was kind of nice to see Rumple putting Gideon first.
PunkMaister

Postby PunkMaister » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:17 pm

The Wiz of Oz wrote:I feel some type of way about this episode since the memory of Bae was spit on for no reason.. this gets a meh

What makes you think that? Bael was just human and as such he was not perfect. No one is.
I think it was awesome it showed that Rumple is a far more deep and complex character than anybody ever thought.
And I also finished Binge watching Iron Fist and saw The Flash musical crossover with Supergirl in which true love's kiss saves the day.
As Stan Lee correctly pointed out Comic books are modern day fairy tales. :)
jujubee

Postby jujubee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 am

This was a sort of “quiet” episode, which isn’t so bad a thing after last week’s.
PunkMaister wrote:What makes you think that? Bael was just human and as such he was not perfect. No one is.
I think it was awesome it showed that Rumple is a far more deep and complex character than anybody ever thought.

Absolutely agree!

The use of a memory potion was a little annoying, since lost memories are way too common, but since it is so common it’s not exactly shocking either. Despite that, the flashbacks actually made sense to me. The idea that Rumple didn’t fall immediately to the Darkness feels right, as he was a decent man before being the Dark One, just a coward. Baelfire using that same Dark Magic so quickly makes sense as well because Neal had a tendency to “hate all magic” until it was convenient for him, then he was fine using Magic, even the Dark kind. The fact that he did the same thing as a kid rings true and makes his actions later more understandable.

Gideon trying to use dark acts to become a hero makes an interesting comparison to Beowulf, whose story did not end so well. He's already on a dark path. He intended to rip away the Blue Fairy's magic, watches as his father does it instead, and takes the sword forged by it with the plan to kill Emma. He hasn't precisely touched the Darkness yet, but he's not exactly innocent either. If he was just given a sword and told it was magic, that’s different, but that’s not what happened. Also, he used the dagger to control Rumple, taking away his free will, and did so with ill intent. When Belle used the dagger, she did so to save a life, when Gideon used it, it was so he can eventually take one. However, he can come back from this- pretty easily - as nothing he’s done so far (as far as we know) is irredeemable and mostly understandable, in its twisted way.

It seems like Rumple’s getting a redemption, or at least sympathy, arc. The Rumple flashbacks this season have all been designed to generate sympathy for him. His love for his son(s) is not something that should ever have been in doubt. So his trying to protect them – not in exactly the best way, but still – feels like a return to early seasons Rumple. I just hope if he does get his redemption, it’s not too easy. However, I am fully on board for getting to see Robert Carlyle get to do more than just be evil, because he is great.

Regina finally realizing that her “quick split fix” was perhaps the wrong choice was a long time coming. Her acknowledging that she’s the one that did all those terrible things and not some other “Evil Queen” was welcome, but it's something she’s said before and not followed through on. Hope it sticks this time. Also hope there’s more to her redemption than just that. She needs to make amends. Like returning those hearts in her vault. It was nice, though, that when it turned out the EQsnake was missing, she didn’t immediately accuse Zelena like she would’ve not too long ago.

Robin looks like the ultimate conman. When he talks with Regina, he seems genuinely, reasonably upset about things, but when talking with Zelena he just sounds like a reprobate. And now it looks like he's teaming up with the Evil Queen, which ought to be interesting. Also, the “pressure” he claims he’s been getting from Regina and his “wanting out” seemed like it came on awful fast. How long’s he been in Storybrooke? Like a day?

There are a lot of loose ends up to tie up this season, with more being added. Hopefully none of them get rushed through. Or dragged out too long.

Return to “Episode Discussion”