[6x17] Awake Discussion

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:17 am

What did you think of [6x17] Awake ?

Please use the hide tag if you discuss future episodes
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
facelesscreature

Re: [6x17] Awake Discussion

Postby facelesscreature » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:29 am

Personally, this might be my favorite Snowing episode ever!

I loved how in the flashbacks Snow and David were heroes first, not parents. In the present, they are parents first, not heroes.
This was a huge sacrifice to make sure that Emma would save everyone. Also, everyone sharing the sleeping curse was unexpected, but also great because everyone knows what the Charming family has done for them.

In the flashbacks, I'm a little surprised that Rumple didn't just steal the pixie petal for himself to reunite with Bae. I guess deep down, Rumple wanted everyone awake too.

Seriously though, just how powerful is the BF? She can just take Rumple's dagger! I guess it's a running gag this season that Rumple gets everything stolen from him. I just can't help but wonder if this is building up to something?

Also, more CaptainSwan feels. I guess Hook's shadow reattached itself?
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 am

This was an emotional, heartbreaking, sad, and happy episode all rolled in one.
Gideon is trying to help. Man he is making me like him.
Nice intro to Tiger Lily. I never would have thought her OUAT twist would make her a fairy.
The flashback to curse Storybrooke was great. I'm so glad they didnt use another memory potion to forget. Snow and David really love their extended family to sacrifice a chance to raise their daughter. And town people really love them to take some of the curse for them. I'm happy Snowing in finally AWAKE!
I'm happy that Emma's is happy
this dang ole Black Fairy, I like her too, Kinda a mix of Rumple and Cora with a splash of The Evil Queen.
Great episode!
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
jujubee

Postby jujubee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:05 am

So, I was playing catch-up and it's a bit late to comment, but I can't watch today's episode right now, so why not?
The emotion and themes in this episode were great, but some of the technicalities were a little weird.
Love that Snow and Charming are finally awake. Also, the community aspect was nice though I wish there were more characters/less extras in that scene, but actors were likely unavailable. At least the familiar characters were also shown in the flashback, so there was that connection. And the "sharing" aspect was good, but also a little weird? Guess they were drinking heart juice?
Really liked Tiger Lily, I hope this isn't the last we see of her. A couple of gems were dropped that didn't entirely go anywhere. What did happen at Skull Rock? What's the full story between her and the Black Fairy and the wand? She could've at least explained how to use the wand; there was time. I'm kind of hoping for a flashback with these two rather than just an explanation. Right now it's pretty cryptic.
The pixie dust and TLdoor: the Snow/Charming/young Emma scene was lovely, but it doesn't make sense. The rules for TL have been pretty clear since season 1; it has to be reciprocated. Emma at that time didn't know her parents and if anything was sad/bitter towards them, so there wouldn't have been True Love. It was probably there in part for the Hook and Emma scene later, but it could've been done another way. Pixie dust is powerful stuff. It could've opened a door to "what you're looking for" or "family" and still would have worked. Just my opinion.
facelesscreature wrote:In the flashbacks, I'm a little surprised that Rumple didn't just steal the pixie petal for himself to reunite with Bae. I guess deep down, Rumple wanted everyone awake too.

Could be, with the way he's written lately, but it also might not be the case. Again just my opinion, but I read that as Rumple using "the need to wake everyone" to convince Snow and Charming to make the decision he wanted them to make. As for not using the pixie dust, that could be two-fold. 1. Rumple has always had issues believing anyone could love him. He's insecure at heart and likely didn't have faith the TLdoor would work for him. 2.He can get a bit too wrapped up in following a plan/prediction to the letter. Emma was meant to break the curse at a certain-time-not-yet-reached in order for anyone to leave town. He may have thought this was an absolute, even with the pixie dust. It was a bit unclear.
facelesscreature wrote:Also, more CaptainSwan feels. I guess Hook's shadow reattached itself?

Seems like. Unlike Rumple's shadow that flew off, Hook's sort of faded away. Pan's remaining magic must have been weak.
The Wiz of Oz wrote:Gideon is trying to help. Man he is making me like him.

I agree. After last episode, he's become far more interesting!

But the Black Fairy? The actress is good and the character is as they say, "deliciously evil", but without knowing her endgame or motivation, personally I'm not that interested in her yet. Hopefully more about her is revealed soon.
This probably sounds like I didn't like the episode, but actually I did quite a bit. "Heart" and character driven stories are what the show does best and in that respect this episode excelled.

Return to “Episode Discussion”