Discuss OUAT's spin off series Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
peanut-butter

Re: Once Upon A Time In Wonderland.

Postby peanut-butter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm

It was Milly.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:27 am

So, last Wonderland episode, who was waiting for the Knave to be like "so, you decided to use the magic dust to find Cyrus... and just leave me as statue?"
Danielsgrl03

Postby Danielsgrl03 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:20 am

Heidirs wrote:So, last Wonderland episode, who was waiting for the Knave to be like "so, you decided to use the magic dust to find Cyrus... and just leave me as statue?"

hahaha I thought about that too!
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 am

:D Glad I wasn't the only one! :D
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:40 am

I was thinking of the standard reasons a 19th century stepmother wouldn't want Alice around. She may just not want a nearly adult stepdaughter showing up and having influence in the household. But, can I point out the old, traditional? Money.

The moment Alice showed up, Milly's potential inheritance just got divided in half. It may even be less than that. It wouldn't be uncommon for things to have been set up so Alice would eventually inherit whatever fortune her mother had. With Alice gone, that went to her father as Alice's next-of-kin. From there, it would eventually go to Milly.

Now, if Alice had been left money by her mother, the usual thing would be for her to get it when she came of age or married. However, sometimes the money remained in trust for longer or even permanently (since husbands normally gained control of the wife's money at that time, it wasn't uncommon to set up a trust that provided her with money from her inheritance and even giving her considerable control over it but keeping it outside the husband's control).

If it's the money, the stepmother probably doesn't want Alice to marry. The only advantage that gives her is if the stepmother is just trying to keep Alice out of the way while she pressures Alice's father to leave as little as possible to his oldest child.

Nope, I'm betting stepmomma wanted Alice committed from the get go. Once she'd been declared insane, Alice would be mentally incompetent to control her own financial affairs. It didn't matter if she came of age or married (legally, an insane person couldn't marry. Marriage was essentially a contract, and the insane couldn't enter into one).
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm not sure it's exactly fair to say that Alice's stepmother or even her father (as I've seen arguments on other forums) wanted her gone. In the Victorian Era, the only future a woman had was with a husband. Her husband was meant to provide for her financially. After a woman reached a certain age, I think about 25, and she hadn't married, she was considered an old maid, so to speak, and her prospects of marriage were slim to none, leaving her no future (since women generally didn't work) and burdening her family with the responsibility of taking care of her.

I honestly think Sarah was doing what she thought was best in pushing Alice into courtship. Alice seems to be of the age (somewhere between 18 and 23) when women would engage in courtship and eventually marry. Alice's only future at this point is through marriage, and to give her time to herself would only put that future at risk.

I'm sure Alice has a reputation around town as being that "troubled" girl who disappears for years on end, which would only damage her reputation and prospects of marriage. All the more reason to push her into the dating scene and show her off as a proper and respectable young lady to both counteract that reputation and find her a husband in due time.

It also helps to put this in modern terms. To her parents, Alice is like that troubled child who shows up at their parents' house only when they are in need of money and then swiftly leave again. If Alice is serious about staying this time and not running off, then it makes for her parents to push her into the society she claims she is now willing to be a part of. Like pushing that troubled child into taking a job or attending rehab.

I do think part of her parent's rush to marry her off has to do with Milly and their worry that she might impress on Milly some of her willful ways (which was considered unbecoming for a young woman). But I also think the biggest part was that Alice had certain responsibilities for a young woman of her age and since she professed to be serious about staying, her parents simply expected her to do as she was supposed to.
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Am I the only one extremely disappointed in Jafar's father? I mean, sure, Jafar killed Mirza (or I'm 90% certain he did, I suppose they left room if they want to bring him back). But, after you've abused your child, refused to acknowledge him, and tried to kill him, and the legitimate son you partly did this for just left you to die, I think telling Jafar, oh, yeah, he's a chip off the family block, is not conceding too much.

And we saw weird mist when Jafar's mother died and when he came back to life. She was a healer, and there's also magic in the family, but I'm not sure what happened there.

As for Stepmom, her husband was missing all day or longer. Yet, there she is, waiting just outside the door when he pops back, ready to tell him nothing strange happened. Suspicious?

And, Red Queen, I thought you were above blurting out all the dangerous plot details while the other villain is standing right behind you.
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Ellen wrote:Am I the only one extremely disappointed in Jafar's father? I mean, sure, Jafar killed Mirza (or I'm 90% certain he did, I suppose they left room if they want to bring him back). But, after you've abused your child, refused to acknowledge him, and tried to kill him, and the legitimate son you partly did this for just left you to die, I think telling Jafar, oh, yeah, he's a chip off the family block, is not conceding too much.

And we saw weird mist when Jafar's mother died and when he came back to life. She was a healer, and there's also magic in the family, but I'm not sure what happened there.

As for Stepmom, her husband was missing all day or longer. Yet, there she is, waiting just outside the door when he pops back, ready to tell him nothing strange happened. Suspicious?

And, Red Queen, I thought you were above blurting out all the dangerous plot details while the other villain is standing right behind you.

What she said ;)
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Ellen wrote:Am I the only one extremely disappointed in Jafar's father? I mean, sure, Jafar killed Mirza (or I'm 90% certain he did, I suppose they left room if they want to bring him back). But, after you've abused your child, refused to acknowledge him, and tried to kill him, and the legitimate son you partly did this for just left you to die, I think telling Jafar, oh, yeah, he's a chip off the family block, is not conceding too much.

Yeah... It's hard to feel sympathy toward that character now.

Ellen wrote:And we saw weird mist when Jafar's mother died and when he came back to life. She was a healer, and there's also magic in the family, but I'm not sure what happened there.

I'm confused on that too.

Ellen wrote:As for Stepmom, her husband was missing all day or longer. Yet, there she is, waiting just outside the door when he pops back, ready to tell him nothing strange happened. Suspicious?

My theory on this is that Edwin is not actually "home" but at some kind of alternate reality. The coloring or lighting of the room seemed off to me, and Sarah didn't seem to be wearing clothing that I thought was appropriate for the time period. That whole situation just seemed very strange.
Mr. Silver

Postby Mr. Silver » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Ha that guy in the cage is Jafars dad then, called it weeks ago ;D *guessing boast*

Maybe it's just me, but did Jafars' dad look nothing like his own younger version? Also the younger sultan looked a lot more middle eastern. Maybe it was just the head dress or something *shrug* in any case I wouldn't have seriously guessed they were the same person.
Mr. Silver, almost as good as Mr. Gold!
I was going to use a name spelled backwards, but Lana didn't work out for some reason.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 am

Mr. Silver wrote:Maybe it's just me, but did Jafars' dad look nothing like his own younger version? Also the younger sultan looked a lot more middle eastern. Maybe it was just the head dress or something *shrug* in any case I wouldn't have seriously guessed they were the same person.

I have to agree the younger and older version didn't match. Also, when they were having the discussion at the table, I thought the guy they were negotiating with actually looked like the guy Jafar has in the cage. So I thought maybe he wasn't the sultan but was actually the guy at the table.

Total look-alike and not look-alike confusion.
Mr. Silver

Postby Mr. Silver » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:07 am

Hmm just have to re-watch that bit at the table, and yeah there are actually two guys that look more like the older sultan than the younger sultan does :P

I guess age wise those two guys wouldn't work out though as they looked old enough by that point already, to look THAT age by the time time he was in the cage, back in Agrabah he would have to be in the low 30's at most I would imagine (the dad now looks to be about in his 50's at a guess). This is all assuming Jafar aged normally, as he was a boy of about 10 at the time, and is now.... mid-30ish I guess?
So age wise the guy in the cage and the Sultan makes sense, but on looks alone? Yeah......
I was going to use a name spelled backwards, but Lana didn't work out for some reason.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:23 am

You never know. You could just have one those guys that look like they never age. Like Patrick Stewart or Morgan Freeman.
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:46 am

This episode also increased the ick factor in Jafar's relationship with Amara. I think, when he first went to her, he was looking for a mother figure. Ulima was a healer, which may or may not have involved magic. She would have had knowledge and, I'm guessing some authority in the community where she lived. Amara had a lot more. But, when Jafar saw a woman who the townsfolk were afraid to even look at as she went through the market doing her shopping, I think he was reminded of his mother.

Not sure how much of that Amara got and how much of it she deliberately exploited, but it really adds to the ick.
MadHatter'sCat

Postby MadHatter'sCat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Wow. The writers of Once and Wonderland really tend to portray parents as horrible, don't they? So disappointed in Jaffar's dad.

What I don't like about Wonderland is the deus ex machina they pull off all the time. Alice doesn't know where to go? Get some magic dust. She doesn't know how to get to the floating castle? And voila, there is a way. It is just too forced for me, even though I still like the show very much. And I love the queensguard, he always makes me crack up.
Montreat11

Postby Montreat11 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Anyone have any idea's on what that mist was that I suspect brought Jafar back to life?
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:34 am

Montreat11 wrote:Anyone have any idea's on what that mist was that I suspect brought Jafar back to life?

I thought it was his mom. The mist left her when she dies and then came back to revive him, so I thought it was her spirit or something.
Mr. Silver

Postby Mr. Silver » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 pm

When something doesn't make sense? A wizard did it.
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm still processing the fact that Jafar wants to change the rules of magic to be loved by a man who killed him.

Talk about daddy issues...
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:28 pm

MadHatter'sCat wrote:What I don't like about Wonderland is the deus ex machina they pull off all the time. Alice doesn't know where to go? Get some magic dust. She doesn't know how to get to the floating castle? And voila, there is a way. It is just too forced for me, even though I still like the show very much.

I think that's how the book works too. :lol: Although, book Alice is written as a total ditz. She pretty much just stumbles into everything. At least TV show Alice uses her brain. ;)

Caroline wrote:I'm still processing the fact that Jafar wants to change the rules of magic to be loved by a man who killed him.

Talk about daddy issues...

I'm still not sure that's what he wants. Could he maybe want his mother back, thinking they'd be a family? Or does he just want to charm his father so he'll accept him? Or does he want to change the past so somehow Jafar ends up as heir to throne?

Return to “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland”