Once Upon A Time In Wonderland.

Discuss OUAT's spin off series Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
Ellen

Re: Once Upon A Time In Wonderland.

Postby Ellen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Here's hoping Jafar doesn't get messed up on a grandfather paradox. You know, goes into the past, changes the past, creates a future in which he could never change the past, which changes the past he created, which changes his present so he changes the past. . . .
Caroline

Postby Caroline » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 am

Heidirs wrote:
I'm still not sure that's what he wants. Could he maybe want his mother back, thinking they'd be a family? Or does he just want to charm his father so he'll accept him? Or does he want to change the past so somehow Jafar ends up as heir to throne?

He probably has several reasons to change the rules of magic, but I think making his father love him is one of them at least that is what I got from their conversations at the end of the episode, Jafar tells the sultan several times to just "say it" and his suffering will end and the sultan asks him what good is love and respect if they have to be stolen, that's why I think he wants his father's love.

But it could be something more complicated like you suggested.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
Noriega

Postby Noriega » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:46 pm

I do feel for Jafar. The Sultan is beyond messed up. We would have to analyze the rules of magic.

You cant bring someone back from the dead
You cant force someone to love you..

I think there is a third one but i forget

Anyway, the first two are plenty of reasons for Jafar. He could bring his mother back to life and/or force his father to love him as a son.
Although going through all this just for that would be seriously anticlimactic. So i assume there is something else afoot here.

____

Anyone got a strange vibe from Alices stepmom? I mean, the way she looked and how she kinda forcefully suggested that the father was dreaming and not to worry about it and etc.
Iunno, i think shes not what she appears to be.
peanut-butter

Postby peanut-butter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Oh, yeah, I've thought the stepmom was shady since they first introduced her. You could tell she was manipulating the dad to get rid of Alice.
Danielsgrl03

Postby Danielsgrl03 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Noriega wrote:I do feel for Jafar. The Sultan is beyond messed up. We would have to analyze the rules of magic.

You cant bring someone back from the dead
You cant force someone to love you..

I think there is a third one but i forget

Anyway, the first two are plenty of reasons for Jafar. He could bring his mother back to life and/or force his father to love him as a son.
Although going through all this just for that would be seriously anticlimactic. So i assume there is something else afoot here.

____

Anyone got a strange vibe from Alices stepmom? I mean, the way she looked and how she kinda forcefully suggested that the father was dreaming and not to worry about it and etc.
Iunno, i think shes not what she appears to be.

You can't wish for more wishes.

I think he has motivation to want to change magic so he can do all three rules.

Yeah I don't like the step mother. I think she is definitely not a good person.
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 pm

There are four rules of magic. I remember because it's exactly what the genie said in Aladdin, plus one more.

1. You can make someone fall in love
2. You can't bring someone back from the dead
3. You can't wish for more wishes

and the added one:

4. You can't change the past

At first, I thought Jafar would want to do #4 just because it was added from the rules we were already familiar with.
esmeraude

Postby esmeraude » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:45 am

After the winter finale I wonder if Peta Sergeant will be playing Cyrus' mother. It was such a totally random thing for him to bring up plus him acknowledging he has no idea what ever happened to her. He happens to have (or used to have) a compass that would lead him to her that magically started working after he met Alice...

I can't believe we have to wait until March!
Kimariyan

Postby Kimariyan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:13 am

So after watching half of the first episode when it premiered and being totally bored, I finally decided to go back and watch all the episodes (after the OUAT Winter finale) just in case there is some future crossover story coming up...

I must say the show did get better with each episode. Although if I had had to wait for each episode when it was actually aired, my interest would have waned quickly, so yay for DirecTv on demand lol.

Anyhoo, glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt little sympathy for the Sultan after their backstory was revealed. I do kinda feel bad for Jafar, despite him trapping his partner in a snake-shaped cane, but am unsure how changing the laws of magic will really give him what he wants. He seems somewhat desperate now to get his father's love as opposed to being the boy seeking revenge on the father who wanted him dead.

I found the Red Queen to be quite clever all things considered...though her life still hangs in the balance. It's not as if Jafar ordered the storm to kill her and anyone with her after all.

I think I like the show because it has such a simple plot. Unlike OUAT, I didn't have to think too much about what was going on. Although I did wonder why Cyrus, when he wrote his note to Alice, didn't just tell her exactly where he was and say hey, don't send me anything back because it may be too dangerous to.

Love the Knave and will very curious to see how his storyline goes now.

And, I agree, Alice's Step Mommy gives me the creeps. The Knave did remind Alice about consequences...perhaps her Dad will off the wife and take the kid with him back to Wonderland lol.
Noriega

Postby Noriega » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 pm

I must say the last Epi threw me for a loop.

Its sad the terrible budget of the show is turning away viewers (thats the most complaints i see about it). But it is really a good show.

Even the dude at ABC said he screwed up the scheduling for it which is why it hasnt done as well as it could.
Had it be a mid season show between Once, it would probably do a lot better in the ratings and in get rid of that cheesy bargain bin green screen they are stuck with this season

http://tvline.com/2014/01/17/abc-boss-t ... nge-ahead/
Danielsgrl03

Postby Danielsgrl03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Noriega wrote:I must say the last Epi threw me for a loop.

Its sad the terrible budget of the show is turning away viewers (thats the most complaints i see about it). But it is really a good show.

Even the dude at ABC said he screwed up the scheduling for it which is why it hasnt done as well as it could.
Had it be a mid season show between Once, it would probably do a lot better in the ratings and in get rid of that cheesy bargain bin green screen they are stuck with this season

http://tvline.com/2014/01/17/abc-boss-t ... nge-ahead/

I have to agree. This was a good episode. I thought the woman in the water was kind of out of place...she looked exactly like the girl from The Ring which I thought was lame. But when they were showing Cyrus' mother with the cloth over her face...I flipped out because I knew who it was going to be. Such a good twist.
Mr. Silver

Postby Mr. Silver » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Why would the budget of a show turn away viewers? Some Sci-fi TV stuff looks like it was made with about 50p, and that gets tons of viewers. Where as Waterworld? Yeah...... (admittedly, that was a film).
Mr. Silver, almost as good as Mr. Gold!
I was going to use a name spelled backwards, but Lana didn't work out for some reason.
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:08 pm

The budget had nothing to with ratings.
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
Noriega

Postby Noriega » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:32 am

As CGI heavy as this show is, the budget has major influence in how its perceived.
Sci-Fi stuff attracts Sci Fi enthusiast. That does not cut it in major networks.
They need the grand appeal, not niche viewers.

And the visualizations is one of the major complaints i have personally seen and heard people complain about. And even though the story has gotten better (IMO), the cinematography has arguably gotten worse.

Many enthusiasts of the show usually says something along the lines of "despite the bad cgi..." so obviously to some people, its a thing.
Mr. Silver

Postby Mr. Silver » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:47 am

Noriega wrote:Many enthusiasts of the show usually says something along the lines of "despite the bad cgi..." so obviously to some people, its a thing.

Apparently yeah.
Maybe I just don't watch enough 'great CGI' television, but I always thought it looked great.
I was going to use a name spelled backwards, but Lana didn't work out for some reason.
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 am

Noriega wrote:As CGI heavy as this show is, the budget has major influence in how its perceived.
Sci-Fi stuff attracts Sci Fi enthusiast. That does not cut it in major networks.
They need the grand appeal, not niche viewers.

And the visualizations is one of the major complaints i have personally seen and heard people complain about. And even though the story has gotten better (IMO), the cinematography has arguably gotten worse.

Many enthusiasts of the show usually says something along the lines of "despite the bad cgi..." so obviously to some people, its a thing.

there has barely been any cgi since the show return..
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
Danielsgrl03

Postby Danielsgrl03 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:06 am

Cora is on Once in Wonderland right now! Very interesting!
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 am

It's a shame it took the show till the season return to get good. Good God, did that last episode rip my heart out.
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:59 am

Heidirs wrote:It's a shame it took the show till the season return to get good. Good God, did that last episode rip my heart out.

Ripped it out, stomped on it, burnt the remains, scattered the ashes. . . .
Danielsgrl03

Postby Danielsgrl03 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:18 am

Ellen wrote:
Heidirs wrote:It's a shame it took the show till the season return to get good. Good God, did that last episode rip my heart out.

Ripped it out, stomped on it, burnt the remains, scattered the ashes. . . .

Hahaha! Yes to both of these!
Mr. Silver

Postby Mr. Silver » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:53 am

Has anyone else seen those antique programmes on TV? (possibly only in England, America tends to go for a more 'storage wars' approach), where people bring stuff to have it valued etc. and sometimes a woman will bring some crappy looking little pot, but it turns out to have been made by Clarice Cliff so it's worth thousands, usually accompanied by shock and a phrase like "Oh wow I never thought it was worth that much, I've just been keeping pencils in it!".

I imagined that with Jafars' snake staff, Alice/Cyrus taking it and not working out why it protected them, then keeping it in their tent and only realising why it had done so months later. "Oh sorry mum, we were storing you in an umbrella stand all that time!".

Return to “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland”