The Red Queen

Discuss OUAT's spin off series Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
Prince Ali

The Red Queen

Postby Prince Ali » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:57 pm

I know some of this will have been discussed before, but since we have a nice new shiny subforum to discuss OUATiW, why not make new threads? :D

I'm really curious to know how people feel about her after the last episode. I know a lot of people hated her from the get go, but finally getting an episode centric to her really fleshed out her character and made her more more likable for me (honestly I've loved her for a while now, but "Heart of Stone" only solidified that). The scene where she starts imitating the noblewomen's speech pattern was especially telling, and the moments where her accent slips in the present day (like when Jafar was killing Will) give me hope that she's not completely lost her old self and that she's got good reasons for teaming up with Jafar.

On another note, what does everyone make of her mother? I know it's been speculated that Anastasia is Cinderella's stepsister, so then her mother is the evil stepmother, and I definitely got that vibe from her. Think we'll get more confirmation on this in the future? Maybe Ashley's brief appearance in the pilot wasn't that random after all...
Caroline

Re: The Red Queen

Postby Caroline » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:43 pm

The main problem I have with the character is that I'm not convinced by the actress, she is ok when she is acting as Anastasia but when she has a scene in which she needs to act like the Red Queen I just find her forced.

The character itself is interesting and the writers have done a good job with the way they have revealed her past and how she hasn't forgotten who she used to be, but I still think she is a very selfish person who will destroy anyone to get to the top, she even sacrificed herself to become a queen, and has shown multiple times she will take advantage of anyone.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
Heidirs

Postby Heidirs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:52 pm

I do like her a lot more now that her character has been fleshed out. And I think a lot of the her nuances that were throwing me off at the beginning have been explained through her background.
timemachine

Postby timemachine » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 am

I lOVE THE RED QUEEN! :3 ......but isnt she called the queen of hearts :|
Prince Ali

Postby Prince Ali » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:40 am

timemachine wrote:I lOVE THE RED QUEEN! :3 ......but isnt she called the queen of hearts :|

Nope, the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts are two separate characters in Lewis' original Alice books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen_ ... king-Glass)

Don't worry, its a common misconception that's only been further misbelieved after Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland :D
Mrs. Gold

Postby Mrs. Gold » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:55 pm

I still can't stand the Red Queen, the actress is terrible. Every scene with her makes me cringe.

Prince Ali wrote:On another note, what does everyone make of her mother? I know it's been speculated that Anastasia is Cinderella's stepsister, so then her mother is the evil stepmother, and I definitely got that vibe from her. Think we'll get more confirmation on this in the future? Maybe Ashley's brief appearance in the pilot wasn't that random after all...

I also thought that Anastasia might be one of Cinderella's stepsisters but there are a few things that don't fit. In "The Price of Gold" we get a glimpse of the stepmother and the two stepsisters when they get into the carriage to go to the prince's ball and all of them have dark hair. Anastasia is blond, so she couldn't have been one of them. Furthermore, Ruby told Emma that Ashley has two stepsisters in Storybrooke, but Anastasia is obviously not in Storybrooke but in Wonderland, so Ashley should only have one stepsister. I hope they will not forget these details. It's still possible that Anastasia is Cinderella's stepsister. Maybe in this version of the fairy tale there were three stepsisters and when Anastasia left home to be with Will, only two stepsisters were left, went with their mother to the prince's ball and were later brought to Storybrooke by the curse. It would also explain the mother's words to Anastasia: "At least I have your sisters" because I was a bit surprised why she would acknowledge Cinderella as a daughter.

Return to “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland”