Should I Really Watch the Wonderland Series?

Discuss OUAT's spin off series Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
rumpled

Should I Really Watch the Wonderland Series?

Postby rumpled » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:32 am

i've been wondering if i need to watch OUAT IN WONDERLAND for any sort of continuity or tie-in purposes with the main series?

i watched the first few episodes but honestly have been avoiding watching it because i honest to god HATE WITH A PASSION OF FIERY BURNING RAGE most adaptions of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (with one exception of the 90s live-action movie where Alice's colouring is kind of inverted but nevertheless the movie stays more on track with the book than any other adaption ever did).

Alice in Wonderland has become some sort of strange cultural icon with a life of it's own almost completely detached and void of all understanding from the original book's themes, concepts and philosophy, hollowed out with all but the imagery remaining as an outer shell. not to mention the commonplace meshing of Wonderland with Through the Looking Glass; two separate places.

so basically i'm wondering if watching it is worth it for tie-in references to the main series or will it just make me hella frustrated? i already don't agree with a lot of the main series' standardised ~fairytale concepts & rules~ but love it regardless.

i'm on the fence. help? :shrug2:
Caroline

Re: Should I Really Watch the Wonderland Series?

Postby Caroline » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 am

If you didn't like the first few episodes and don't like to see adaptations of Alice that are not true to the books then don't watch it because the show has barely anything in common with any of the Alice books, the events have had no impact in the OUAT continuity at all, and the only character that has crossed over to the main show is the Knave of Hearts.

Maybe look for a synopsis of the episodes online, that way you can know what happened without watching the show, and if you like what you find, maybe give it another chance.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then
rumpled

Postby rumpled » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:16 pm

thankyou caroline! :)
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:23 pm

U dont have to if u dont want since the creators said they will explain Will a bit for those who didnt c WONDERLAND
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
Regina's Sass

Postby Regina's Sass » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I didn't know anything about this! I was late to the OUAT party but watched and caught up with all the seasons in the space of a month or two. I may give this a go, see what I make of it!
Pixie Magic

Postby Pixie Magic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Hmmm...I was wondering this as well. :)
TheHuntsman

Postby TheHuntsman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 am

I'm personally glad I endured Wonderland simply for the sake of knowing Will Scarlets backstory, which was hands down the best story arc of the spinoff. I would watch it just for him.
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:13 am

You might as well watch it, if you're interested. Then you can decide whether you liked it or not.
Oncer_Forever_

Postby Oncer_Forever_ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:16 am

Even though it is only one season, you should still watch it. I am currently watching the whole series form beginning to end all over again.
Evil doesn't always look evil. Sometimes it's staring us right in the face and we don't even realize it~~ Regina Mills
Condiments are this worlds most powerful magic~~ Mr.gold
A man unwilling to fight for what he wants, deserves what he gets~~ Hook

Return to “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland”