[3x14] The Tower Spoilers

Once Upon a Time spoilers for season 3.
Peace Man

Re: [3x14] The Tower Spoilers

Postby Peace Man » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:51 pm

That's a really good, thoughtful answer. I like that.
♬ "How years ago, in days of old, when magic filled the air." ♬
leighskywalker

Re: [3x14] ? Spoilers

Postby leighskywalker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:42 pm

mindygirl wrote:
mysticalflute wrote:It's a show about magic. Regardless of what kind of hair the actress has, they can easily say there was a spell cast on Rapunzel to have it grow to ridiculous lengths... in Tangled, it was only magical when it was long. Once Flynn cut it it lost its magic. Maybe it'll be the same sort of situation.

Right. I was working from the viewpoint of the original (and Disney) versions where although it was a spell of sorts, it was from birth. Which is why I said what I did about the choice of actress. Purely from a costuming P.O.V., it's would be a lot easier to come up with Rapunzel hair that would be Caucasian. Ethnic hair is usually much thicker. Any type of wig would be much heavier. CGI, if they went that route, would probably take longer???

When it comes to fairytales, I'm a purist though. Well, in as much as I know about them. I'm glad Emilie de Raven looks like Belle. I thought Joanna's hair should have been redder. I love the Ginnifer Goodwin looks so much like how Snow White has been portrayed in the past. Sarah Bolger's brown hair gets to me, cause I picture Aurora as a blonde. That's what Walt Disney has put in my head. I have no idea what, if anything, the original tale says about it. If they tried to pass off a Mulan, or Pocahontas, of Tiana who wasn't ethnic. I'd be just as skeptical as I am about their choice of Rapunzel. This is one fairytale I actually know a lot about (yay for high school Lit class projects), so I'm picturing a fair-haired girl.

For the most part, the show sticks close to what we picture when we picture these characters. The Disney company is a genius at marketing. They want us to picture these characters the way they have packaged them. So for a television channel owned by Disney, to take such a leap surprises me. You make an excellent point about the ending of Tangled though. They could be going from that aspect of the story and moving from there.

Techinally this Aurora is the daughter of the orginal sleeping beauty. So on that note maybe this Rapunzel is the granddaughter or great grand daughter of the orginal as concerned with the race of the charecter thing.
CTrent29

Postby CTrent29 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:18 am

mindygirl wrote:They are really going to have to sell me on this actress. She is absolutely beautiful. But whether you are reading The Brothers Grimm, or watching Tangled...the story revolves around not only the specialness of her hair, but the length as well. It's how her prince gets in and out of the tower to visit her. It's how they escape. It's central to the story. Ethnic hair doesn't grow like that. Well, no hair grows so long you can escape a tower...but you understand what I'm trying to say. And I know how we all love how OUaT puts their own twists on stories. But Rapunzel having just "longer than average" hair isn't going to cut it ( ;) pun intended). It would be like Ariel not being a mermaid. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Are you assuming that all people of African descent, despite the shade of their brown skin, have short hair?

Ethnic hair doesn't grow like that.

Am we supposed to assume that only non-white have "ethnic" hair?

Yeah, i kind of get it, but that one just really bothered me a little bit. Just imagine, if she had just listened, none of this would have happened, she would have been happy and in love, and we wouldn't have had a show!!

Regina wasn't ready . . . end of story. She was supposed to meet and fall in love with Robin Hood, because Tinker Bell said so?
Last edited by CTrent29 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace Man

Postby Peace Man » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 am

There are Rastafarians whose hair is incredibly long. It can get as long as any white person's can.
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm

The first African-American woman to become a millionaire invented line of hair care products. Not sure what that means.

Curly hair, of course, often looks shorter than straight hair if it isn't so long as to be pulled straighter by its own weight. I think it may be more prone to breakages, but no scientific sampling was involved in forming that opinion. The average hair is supposed to live two to seven years before falling out on its own. Other factors, like stress and illness, can decrease the hair's life expectancy. Other factors (environment, diet, types of hair care products used, blow-drying, dying, etc) can also impact how long hair becomes or when it breaks/falls out. Longest hair on record (according to Guinness Book) belongs to a Chinese woman and is over five meters long.

More importantly, long hair in women has often been associated with attractiveness and with being upper class. Poor living conditions and hard labor were often associated with factors leading to shorter hair. In some societies, women of lower class were expected to cut their hair. Interestingly enough, the first African American woman to become a self-made millionaire (mentioned above) did it at a time when recently freed African American women were able to grow out long hair instead of being forced to keep it short.
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:04 pm

mindygirl wrote:They are really going to have to sell me on this actress. She is absolutely beautiful. But whether you are reading The Brothers Grimm, or watching Tangled...the story revolves around not only the specialness of her hair, but the length as well. It's how her prince gets in and out of the tower to visit her. It's how they escape. It's central to the story. Ethnic hair doesn't grow like that. Well, no hair grows so long you can escape a tower...but you understand what I'm trying to say. And I know how we all love how OUaT puts their own twists on stories. But Rapunzel having just "longer than average" hair isn't going to cut it ( ;) pun intended). It would be like Ariel not being a mermaid. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I think part of the problem is when it comes to thinking about race and diversifying casts in the US, it's a "black and white" problem. By that I mean, race is thought about as primarily an issue between black and white people. So when the casting is feeling a little too "50 shades of pale", the powers that be automatically go for "the black character" and make a big deal out of introducing this brand new totally different character before shunting her or him back out of the spotlight ... and that isn't what everyone is talking about when they say they want to see "diverse characters".

Token characters are not the same thing.

If Rapunzel were to keep showing up, great. But I have a feeling that this might be like another "Disney Princess" character's appearance we've already seen this season: introduced and wrapped up very quickly in order to get back to the "main" characters, acting as a minor salve to fans who are "whining".

It's definitely a sign of how many white people are in the writing room too when Rapunzel, a character notable for her hair, is going to be played by a black actress. Not only does it have a sort of "good hair = good person" dynamic on the surface, there's also an element of captivity and slavery to the story that just isn't ... well, it just is going to have a lot of unintended interpretations.

But what is intended and what the final result is can be miles apart. Not doing research isn't the fault of the audience watching.

(I just can't believe that no one saw the implications of this while writing. And if it is addressed ... it will quite possibly be cringe-inducing to a degree not seen since 1990s after school specials. But it'll be nice that they tried, I guess? :shrug:)

I just hope this story isn't as slapped together, useless, and disappointing as the Ariel one was. OUaT really fumbled that ball.
Spoiler:
Also a fan of Grimm. Find me here under this profile:
grimmforum.com
Like fics? I've got some:
TheWormThatTurns @ fanfiction.net

Peace Man

Postby Peace Man » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Well, if you guys want someone to talk about the bad writing of a show you're a fan of with every post, but don't want me to ask why, fine i guess. Your site.

I'm finding it tiresome though, and dare i say, BAD WRITING. Writing the same things all of the time IS bad writing, right?
Peace Man

Postby Peace Man » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:22 pm

You used to love this show and be a big fan of it, i guess i just don't understand why now, with every post, that is the kind of thing i see from you. Quite a turnaround from a while back.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you should never criticize the show. I actually AGREE with some of your criticisms. I guess i just don't understand why that seems to be all you have to say anymore. (maybe i'm wrong there, and it's only the posts that i'm seeing that are like that)
Ouroboros

Postby Ouroboros » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Peace Man wrote:Well, if you guys want someone to talk about the bad writing of a show you're a fan of with every post, but don't want me to ask why, fine i guess. Your site.

I'm finding it tiresome though, and dare i say, BAD WRITING. Writing the same things all of the time IS bad writing, right?

Look, I don't really think this is the appropriate thread for discussing this, but since you insist on engaging, I'll try to explain something I've made clear in other posts of mine:

Offering up criticism is a valid way to enjoy a show, the same way that offering up praise is. I like OUaT. But that doesn't mean that I have to like everything that goes into it, and my opinion certainly doesn't mean that I have some sort of deep-seated dislike toward the writers. (No one would claim that about professional critics who are paid for a living and are much better at this than I am. And really, I don't hate the creators of this show or any other. I just wish that certain things were better.)

Even positive posts are a form of criticism, most often saying "I'd like to see some more of that!"

Basically: Moff's Law.

Or, to quote Shamus Young:

...I think this is a kind of catharsis. We generally want stories to make sense, and if we can’t make the story coherent then at least we can can gather up all the problems and catalog them in an orderly fashion, dangit!

I don't want to quash someone's "positive" enjoyment, so I would appreciate the same due to my "negative" enjoyment. Everyone likes things in different ways.

And although it might seem that my posts are overwhelmingly negative, I do, in fact, post things that are occasionally positive. But I'd rather talk about the negatives, so it all skews heavily one way. Also, sarcasm, snark, and friendly ribbing doesn't really translate well on the internet. So there's that.
Spoiler:
Also a fan of Grimm. Find me here under this profile:
grimmforum.com
Like fics? I've got some:
TheWormThatTurns @ fanfiction.net

Peace Man

Postby Peace Man » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:00 am

Ok, well, i guess that makes sense at least. Like i said, i would never say someone shouldn't criticize the show at all, i just wondered what happened to turn you towards the negative. I wasn't much into Season 2, and i went away for a while. There's things i don't like, things i could pick apart, i just choose not to. It may be a way for you to enjoy the show, but i kind of doubt people who love the show really enjoy it much.

I'll be breathlessly awaiting to hear why you thought the next episode sucked!

Enjoy your Wheaties. ;)
Peace Man

Postby Peace Man » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:02 am

What IS the appropriate thread for discussing with someone why they think the show is written so badly? I haven't seen that one. Maybe there SHOULD be one.

Btw, i don't have to agree with what you say on here to still like you or be your friend. (and if you thought that one remark was inappropriate, you should have seen the one i decided against!)
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm not sure which episode this will be revealed, but TVGuide says that Gorham's character will have a connection to both Emma and Rapunzel.

http://www.tvguide.com/special/winter-preview/PhotoGallery/Returning-Winter-Shows-2014-1074220/1074422

Plus: Christopher Gorham will play a mysterious character connected to Emma and Rapunzel.
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
eleruen

Postby eleruen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 am

Peace Man wrote:What IS the appropriate thread for discussing with someone why they think the show is written so badly? I haven't seen that one. Maybe there SHOULD be one.

Btw, i don't have to agree with what you say on here to still like you or be your friend. (and if you thought that one remark was inappropriate, you should have seen the one i decided against!)

I could offer up suggestions on why the show has been written so badly all day (as well as 'how'')!

Peaceman is not the only person who has done a 180% turn in their opinion of the show.
I used to adore this show, all its nuances and its ability to make me rethink certain concepts such as love and psychopathy. Now due to the train wreck that is season 3,I only watch for Regina, Tink, Hood and Rumple (kinda) these days. :lol: Luckily these actors keep this show afloat for me. I would also say going by the ratings for season 3 especially, many of the original fans/viewers seem to have given up on the show. Difference is, Peaceman and I still have enough enthusiasm to express our disappointment in the show on a fan site such as this, and in my case, I still WANT to like it.
Peace Man

Postby Peace Man » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:03 am

Fair enough, but when all someone says over and over is how poor the writing is, it gets old.

Season 2 lost me for a bit. The last part of this season got me back into it, and that last episode was epic, and as good as anything from season 1.
mysticalflute

Postby mysticalflute » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Jennie wrote:I'm not sure which episode this will be revealed, but TVGuide says that Gorham's character will have a connection to both Emma and Rapunzel.

http://www.tvguide.com/special/winter-preview/PhotoGallery/Returning-Winter-Shows-2014-1074220/1074422

Plus: Christopher Gorham will play a mysterious character connected to Emma and Rapunzel.

Connected to Emma AND Rapunzel? That's weird...
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4386717/ - My fanfiction!
Intervention: AU - Emma and Snow in ACFTL.
Double Trouble: Rumbelle/Snowing double date!
Settling Down: AU - Emma and Neal.
The Truth: AU - Emma and Henry.
And more!
Her Mayorness

Postby Her Mayorness » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:07 pm

mysticalflute wrote:Connected to Emma AND Rapunzel? That's weird...

I would like to see the connection between Emma and Rapunzel - Emma has gorgeous long blonde hair. What's his connection .. I am excited to see what the creators have come up with.
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
eleruen

Postby eleruen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:28 am

Her Mayorness wrote:
mysticalflute wrote:Connected to Emma AND Rapunzel? That's weird...

I would like to see the connection between Emma and Rapunzel - Emma has gorgeous long blonde hair. What's his connection .. I am excited to see what the creators have come up with.

Me too. Was this guy originally a fairy tale character? If so, how does Emma know this man who was originally a fairy tale character but came to our world? Did he come to our world via the curse, leave SB and then forget his memories of who he was originally?

Or if he is not a fairy tale character, was Rapunzel originally from our world, went/was taken to EF somehow and ended up trapped in the tower? Were Emma, Rapunzel and this new guy all fostered together, or was this new guy fostered separately with Emma and then Rapunzel? Was Emma supposed to be the one who should have been locked in a tower to prevent her from breaking the curse so that the WW could take over EF without Regina getting in the way, and she accidentally took Rapunzel instead (maybe WW doesn't know what Emma should look like?)

These are some of the questions that are going through my mind right now, and I am really excited to see how the writers will connect the three of them, because they could go anywhere with this. :D
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:11 pm

The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
eleruen

Postby eleruen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:41 pm

If Walsh has a connection to Rapunzel, and if as someone postulated on the ep12 threAd that Walsh could be a flying monkey, then what do flying monkeys have to do with Rapunzel?
Was Walsh caught trying to rescue her and was turned into one? Was he responsible for collecting her hair, bringing her food etc by flying in and out of the window?
mysticalflute

Postby mysticalflute » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 pm

eleruen wrote:If Walsh has a connection to Rapunzel, and if as someone postulated on the ep12 threAd that Walsh could be a flying monkey, then what do flying monkeys have to do with Rapunzel?
Was Walsh caught trying to rescue her and was turned into one? Was he responsible for collecting her hair, bringing her food etc by flying in and out of the window?

Ohhhh, now that's an idea.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4386717/ - My fanfiction!
Intervention: AU - Emma and Snow in ACFTL.
Double Trouble: Rumbelle/Snowing double date!
Settling Down: AU - Emma and Neal.
The Truth: AU - Emma and Henry.
And more!

Return to “Season 3 Spoilers”