[3x17] The Jolly Roger Spoilers

Once Upon a Time spoilers for season 3.
BoPeeps

Re: [3x17] The Jolly Roger Spoilers

Postby BoPeeps » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:14 am

Or, it's because that's how their story goes....

It obviously IS how their story goes. My opinion still stands that their story~ to kill off a major character~ no matter who it is, is a cop-out.

:)
***Always in Search of a Good Flock***
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:33 am

BoPeeps wrote:
Or, it's because that's how their story goes....

It obviously IS how their story goes. My opinion still stands that their story~ to kill off a major character~ no matter who it is, is a cop-out.

:)

why is it a cop out? death moves the story along. Graham and Cora death were game changers and help move the storyline.
and clearly whoever dying isnt coming back EVER..
The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
misy

Postby misy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:59 am

Still don't get why it would be considered a "cop out".
If it's part of the story they are telling and that's how their plot goes, then, that's how it goes.
Major characters die all the time. It's not a new concept.
Seems that ppl use the terms "plothole" "bad writng" "cop out" etc, when what they really mean is
"I disagree with how the writers are telling their story".
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves"
BoPeeps

Postby BoPeeps » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:49 pm

What I really mean is it is a cop-out, misy, and that is why I said it. How you interpret my meaning doesn’t change it.

But since you and The Wiz asked (grin)…

I have *disagreed* with much that has gone on in A&E’s story lines over the years. Not all of them are cop-outs . They keep me coming back as a viewer because of the overall magic of the entire theme. They are very good at creating imaginative scenarios.

Bottom line, they tell their own story and we have squat to say about it. But HOW they handle the telling of that story can be quite lethal to more than just one of their major characters. There is an implicit trust viewers/readers put into a story that must be respected by the story tellers~ a commitment and responsibility to what they have created. If a story is treated cavalierly, it can kill the trust of the viewing audience, or *readers* of their story.

This whole killing off of a major character, especially done in this *twitter-pated* fashion, goes against the plot-lines that they have been developing (and building viewer trust and interest in) and smacks of being a hiatus marketing ploy AND worse, a sign that they don’t want to deal with characters facing and coming up with a solution to the problems they have created for them~ that allows these MAJOR characters to continue their development and struggles. They created it, they should deal with it, head on. They just want to get rid of “whoever”, for ever and ever and for all times and insist it is story driven. Pffft. It is a cop-out. It doesn’t serve any story that they have been developing thus far for these characters.

We don’t know, and can only speculate wildly, who is being terminated. But the ever-dramatic leaked (cough cough) *list* has names on it that are all extremely important to the world that A&E have purposefully created and nurtured. It may be done all the time in TV plot-land, it is, indeed, nothing *new* ~and the *preciousness* of Twitter type media platforms only feeds the beast, but it is still an evasion of responsible story telling. A cop-out.

The most frustrating part is that in the process, it has turned many of the Internet dwelling fans/viewers into a destructive, mean, infighting mess. Which never ends happily ever after.
misy

Postby misy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm

I appreciate you explaing what you meant :)
And I agree with much of it. However, we don't know that they are killing off a major character simply because they "don't feel like dealing with them".
For all we know, this death was planned out well in advance...as was the case with Graham. They knew from the beginning that he would only have a 7 eps arc. He was killed off for a reason.
How do we know that the impeding demise of this other major character was not the plan all along?
We don't.
BoPeeps

Postby BoPeeps » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 pm

How do we know that the impeding demise of this other major character was not the plan all along?
We don't.

I am enjoying my snow day off from work so I can converse more here :lol:

Even if they have planned all along to kill off a main character, which is their absolute creator-of-all-things-OUAT right (grin), HOW they have chosen to do it, having sucked in the viewership by pointedly (as they always claim everything they do has been pointedly done!)developing major characters' plotlines as they have over the last two seasons...is NOT showing responsibility and commitment to the vision THEY have created so far.

If they have planned on wiping out a main character all long, then the way they are signaling they are going to do it, is still a cop out. (And in a way, worse than just not dealing with it.) Because then, adding insult to injury, we, as viewers, at the very least have been, in a sense, unjustifiably *played*.

TV writers habitually do it to viewers all the time because they CAN. Twitter coyness and baiting has added a sometimes cruel element to the playing but our choice has always been to continue to tune in...or tune out.

Until they piss me off to the point of not giving a healthy...hoot :)...I will tune in.
But we all certainly can have opinions along the way (wink)
misy

Postby misy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 pm

I do agree -all the hoopla and spoilers about the death are sort of an annoying tease. I'm not sure, though, what is worse.....hints 'in episode' or just being shocked when it happens.
I know from watching LOST, they played it both ways.
Bottom line, it's never a good thing to lose a beloved major character, but I do get the necessity for it at times.
Glad you're enjoying your snow day :)
Thankfully, we only got rain this time :/
MrsKillianCassidy

Postby MrsKillianCassidy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:30 am

Can I just say that I realllllllyyyy hope if they do more Hook flashbacks then they NEED to make it after Killian cuts his hair. That pony trail piece was just too bad lol!
MrsKillianCassidy

Postby MrsKillianCassidy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Does anyone else wonder why when Hook first mentions Tink in the beginning of Season 3 he calls her a "benevolent fairy" then during the mid-season finale we see where they met and she had already lost her wings? The timeline is super confusing to me.

Any insights? Maybe they will explain that further in this epsiode? Or in "It's not easy being Green" since it will have some Tink ties? {speculating}
peanut-butter

Postby peanut-butter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:08 pm

MrsKillianCassidy wrote:Does anyone else wonder why when Hook first mentions Tink in the beginning of Season 3 he calls her a "benevolent fairy" then during the mid-season finale we see where they met and she had already lost her wings? The timeline is super confusing to me.

Any insights? Maybe they will explain that further in this epsiode? Or in "It's not easy being Green" since it will have some Tink ties? {speculating}

I don't know, but it really irritates me. He called her a very powerful fairy, but she wasn't either of those things by the time he met her. It makes me feel like the writers just throw lines and scenes in and don't think.
misy

Postby misy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Tink and Hook spent much time together in NL. Could be, she simply told him, at some point, about when she was a fairy.
(Occam's Razor :))
MrsKillianCassidy

Postby MrsKillianCassidy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Misy- But he said there was a fairy who lived there when he did. I originally thought that Tink must have been a fairy in all magical realms, then when she lost her wings she moved to Neverland permanently {or was exiled there, this hasn't been explained yet either}. The most recent episode discards that theory though.

Peanut butter- I totally agree about throwing in random lines and not thinking about it, but then I also feel like when things like this have happened before, they did explain it later. I'm hoping this is the case and we get to see more of Hook & Tink in Neverland. Obviously not this for the rest of this season though.
The Wiz of Oz

Postby The Wiz of Oz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

The Great and Power Wiz of OZ
BoPeeps

Postby BoPeeps » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Holy Hook on a Horse...
the casting crew sure knows how to swash our buckles!!!

:duel:
Her Mayorness

Postby Her Mayorness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 pm

HOLY moly, what's Ben, the hot Desperate Housewives hottie doing in OUAT! Yesss!!! :D
PIXIE DUST DOESN'T LIE
Jennie

Postby Jennie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 pm

BoPeeps wrote:Holy Hook on a Horse...
the casting crew sure knows how to swash our buckles!!!

:duel:

Oh my yes!!!
"We either live happily ever after or we get killed by horrible curses."
"The days of happy ever after are over. These are dark times."
misy

Postby misy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Blackbeard (Charles Mesure)
Another LOST alum :)
YaY!!!!
That makes 7. Love it :)
SpaceCowboy911

Postby SpaceCowboy911 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:50 am

Interesting things mentioned in that article from entertainmentoutlook. But that site also mentioned that the main character's death occurs in the episode before this, so if that's true than it definitely not Hook to go (which I didn't think anyway). I like the Blackbeard-Killian... Henry-Killian idea if indeed it is Neal that goes (which I don't think anyway), but it would be interesting.
FairyDust

Postby FairyDust » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 pm

:) So Charles is playing Blackbeard. Remember him from his days on the V remake as 'Kyle Hobbes.'

Return to “Season 3 Spoilers”