Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix?

General Once Upon a Time chat.
User avatar
rumpled
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm
Contact:

Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix?

Postby rumpled » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:00 am

something i've noticed in ouat is a lot of the girls wear high to super high heels a lot of the time. i know it's tv but it still annoys me.

i've been noticing it throughout the show and most recently in the 4th season anna in a grassy field wobbling about in booted heels (and sword fighting?!) and belle (whom to me, seems to wear heels the most - super high ones!) wobbling in platform stilettos towards rumple to get married in a forest and then running around their honeymoon house in excitement and noticeably holding onto the furniture to support herself and propel herself forward without falling over.

it's actually really starting to annoy me. has anyone else noticed this? surely the girls don't need to wear stripperific heels to look glamorous or pretty? especially not in the woods and lands with magic. it really looks silly.
Last edited by rumpled on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mdlay
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:06 am
Location: Los Angeles CA, U.S.A

Re: fairytales and high heels don't mix?

Postby mdlay » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:30 am

rumpled wrote:something i've noticed in ouat is a lot of the girls wear high to super high heels a lot of the time. i know it's tv but it still annoys me.
i've been noticing it throughout the show and most recently in the 4th season anna in a grassy field wobbling about in booted heels (and sword fighting?!) and belle (whom to me, seems to wear heels the most - super high ones!) wobbling in platform stilettos towards rumple to get married in a forest and then running around their honeymoon house in excitement and noticeably holding onto the furniture to support herself and propel herself forward without falling over.
it's actually really starting to annoy me. has anyone else noticed this? surely the girls don't need to wear stripperific heels to look glamorous or pretty? especially not in the woods and lands with magic. it really looks silly.

I agree
but they seem to be doing it most for the actresses who are shorter
(Like Belle and Regina)
because the men are fairly tall (with the exception of Rumple i think) and some of the women are quite tall too...
(I just hope they find another way to adjust for the height differences)
Image
User avatar
rumpled
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm
Contact:

Re: fairytales and high heels don't mix?

Postby rumpled » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 am

does height different matter that much? is it for aesthetics or does it make it easier to film if they're all roughly the same height? a lot of other shows don't compensate for heights differences with heels...
User avatar
mdlay
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:06 am
Location: Los Angeles CA, U.S.A

Re: fairytales and high heels don't mix?

Postby mdlay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:43 am

rumpled wrote:does height different matter that much? is it for aesthetics or does it make it easier to film if they're all roughly the same height? a lot of other shows don't compensate for heights differences with heels...

:shrug2: wish I knew buddy, but It is what I noticed (I was also wondering why Belle was tipsy like Lacey even though she hadn't been drinking, so when rewatching I noticed that Belle and Regina are the girls who most often wear heels, whereas Snow and Emma don't do so as often... I looked up their heights and so I concluded that to be the reason.) But It could be sexualization of women :shrug2: I really don't know
Image
User avatar
rumpled
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm
Contact:

Re: fairytales and high heels don't mix?

Postby rumpled » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:52 am

it makes me lament! I am short and couldn't become a model because of it. why can't short women just be accepted as short? it doesn't make us less attractive than tall women! and we shouldn't be forced to wear heels to compensate >:( (if that is even the reason...)
I think heels suit regina's character especially as the mayor. zelena wobbled around in them too but, again, it suited her evil witchy outfit. on the other hand I don't think stilleto platforms suits belle's character. I feel like she'd be more practical/classical and wear a kitten heel at the most. Mary janes would be good. the heels she does wear just seem so out of character as well as ridiculously high.
User avatar
mdlay
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:06 am
Location: Los Angeles CA, U.S.A

Re: fairytales and high heels don't mix?

Postby mdlay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:10 am

rumpled wrote:it makes me lament! I am short and couldn't become a model because of it. why can't short women just be accepted as short? it doesn't make us less attractive than tall women! and we shouldn't be forced to wear heels to compensate >:( (if that is even the reason...)
I think heels suit regina's character especially as the mayor. zelena wobbled around in them too but, again, it suited her evil witchy outfit. on the other hand I don't think stilleto platforms suits belle's character. I feel like she'd be more practical/classical and wear a kitten heel at the most. Mary janes would be good. the heels she does wear just seem so out of character as well as ridiculously high.

I agree, even if she is the shortest person, Belle's character is the one (besides Mary Margaret) who would be best without heels... but the guys are really fairly tall... Robert is the second shortest and he is 5'8" (Grumpy is shorter by a couple of inches)... (Emilie deRavin is 5'2" i think)
I am also short so I agree... (but I am hoping that maybe it has something to do with making filming easier and not for sexualization or to determine a woman's attractiveness)
Image
User avatar
rumpled
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm
Contact:

Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix: REVELATIONS

Postby rumpled » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 am

i don't think it's for height! in the recent 4x04 anna is almost comically taller (i say comical because she is meant to be only a teen and looked quite small in the movie whereas rumple is a fully grown physically middle aged man) than rumple bc of her heels (although he's often referred to as little imp he is not actually that little).

and i was rewatching some of the first episodes in season 1 and the blue fairy is wearing glitzy stripperific (i love that word okay) heels when she is hanging in the air in miniaturised CGI form. i always thought the jellyfi- i mean fairy dresses looked silly but those heels where so unbelievable what is it with hollywood and heels, ugh.
disneywoman
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix: REVELATIONS

Postby disneywoman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:43 am

rumpled wrote:i don't think it's for height! in the recent 4x04 anna is almost comically taller (i say comical because she is meant to be only a teen and looked quite small in the movie whereas rumple is a fully grown physically middle aged man) than rumple bc of her heels (although he's often referred to as little imp he is not actually that little).

and i was rewatching some of the first episodes in season 1 and the blue fairy is wearing glitzy stripperific (i love that word okay) heels when she is hanging in the air in miniaturised CGI form. i always thought the jellyfi- i mean fairy dresses looked silly but those heels where so unbelievable what is it with hollywood and heels, ugh.


actually in OUAT's frozen timeline takes place two years after the events of Frozen movie. Which would make her 20 years old. And making Elsa's be 24 in the Frozen time line.
User avatar
rumpled
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix: REVELATIONS

Postby rumpled » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:55 am

disneywoman wrote:actually in OUAT's frozen timeline takes place two years after the events of Frozen movie. Which would make her 20 years old.


still doesn't explain the scourge of heels in this show! D:
Glasswand
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 am

Re: Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix?

Postby Glasswand » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 am

I specifically cane to this website after watching belle hobble toward rumple to marry him in the woods then trip all over the house during their honeymoon. I noticed ever since i originally watched her walk arouns in high heels that she CANT walk in them. You would think the shows costume designer would have put her in shoes she could walk in after it became abundantly obvious that she has issues walking.
The actress is a beautiful lady but considering age appropriate outfits, they should have put her in something that makes her look less like a rebelious teenager with low self worth.
PunkMaister
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 am

Re: Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix?

Postby PunkMaister » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:51 pm

It could be far worse if the writers followed how fairy tale characters look specially female ones take a look at Scarlett Witch on a comic book and imagine bringing that to live action. LOL
Bowhill112
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Fairy Tales and High Heels Don't Mix?

Postby Bowhill112 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 pm

I know I am lat to the conversation, but I was recently doing some work on costumes for a student film, and something similar came up, and upon re watching OUAT had a similar question to everybody and wanted to see if there was an official answer, As there is none I have a few, possible suggestions, (Though they dont account for all ideas and cases.)

But the high heels used by some characters such as Belle may be for two reasons height when shooting, as depending on the shot it dose matter yes, if the high difference between two actors is to much it can be troublesome to get both actors in the same frame (Depending on the shot a director wants to use or what ever) As a 5'4 actor and a 6'1 actor talking in a close up of the two may have the bottom of the smaller actors face missing and the top of the taller actors head missing.

rumpled wrote:does height different matter that much? is it for aesthetics or does it make it easier to film if they're all roughly the same height? a lot of other shows don't compensate for heights differences with heels...


So yes, it dose sometimes make filming easier. Though I am sure its also dome for aesthetic reasons as well.

To counter this some productions have steps for smaller actors or platformed shoes (Not heels.) for the actors for these scenes, but this leads to my next idea.

Continuity. In the cases when an Actor uses a step of platformed shoes it means a characters height fluctuates, and depending on the show some people notice and complain. So by putting a character in High heels in the first place you can remove continuity mistakes in a characters height.

At the end of the day I dont know how important any of this is to the show creators, or even if these were factors they took in to consideration and I want to state I am not justifying the use of heels or defending them in any sense, more just possible reasons I can think as to why.

Return to “Once Chit Chat”