Emma leading the gang

General Once Upon a Time chat.
OnceUponAFan

Emma leading the gang

Postby OnceUponAFan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Iv never understood why Emma became the leader and sole decision maker out of the group. I get that she's the saviour but she broke the curse, her jobs done. I mean, you've got a Queen, a Princess and a Prince, since when did Snow White and Prince Charming stop being heros and start following their daughter around town being her cheerleaders?
I actually really wanna know the answer cause it just doesn't make sense to me. Emma says jump and everyone else just says "how high?"
Where I come from, a simple 'thank you' would suffice
Where you come from people bathe in the river and use pine cones for money.
facelesscreature

Re: Emma leading the gang

Postby facelesscreature » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Imagine your in the EF and suddenly your transported a town in Maine with no memory of who you really are. You spend 28 years in this town. Your miserable because your not with your significant other or your family. Your not even sure if you have family. You do the same thing everyday over and over hoping that someone will break the norm in this town.

Along comes a blonde woman in a yellow car. She helps you find your family and shows you that you can be happy. She even gives you all of your memories that were stolen from you before you were in this town. She saved you and countless others that were "lost" around you. Finally, after 28 years, you can do whatever you want. You can grow old now. You can have children now. You can watch them grow up too. You and everyone else are no longer a slave.

Maybe that's why Emma is the leader/decision maker? Her job might be done, but people owe her everything. This includes her parents and everyone else.
OnceUponAFan

Postby OnceUponAFan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Maybe her parents can do whatever they want but others like Regina didn't have a ready made family waiting for them. If what you say is right then they wouldn't be doing anything. Instead their somewhere between rulers and taking a backseat in all the decision making...
it just doesn't mesh with who they were made out to be in the EF
facelesscreature

Postby facelesscreature » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Considering that nearly every threat to SB is someone that has magic, Snow and Charming, or any normal human, can't really do much.

The only reason they could beat the EQ before was because they had help from various people such as Ariel, Rumple, the Huntsman, etc...

They let the magic users such as Emma and Regina make the decisions because they don't have much knowledge of magic. They couldn't have stopped Zelena, Pan, Snow Queen, Hades, etc... by themselves.
OnceUponAFan

Postby OnceUponAFan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:21 pm

But Emma didn't stop Pan, Zelena, Snow Queen or Hades. In fact the only one she has actually stopped was Cruella! And charming and snow battled the EQ for years without magic.
facelesscreature

Postby facelesscreature » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 pm

The writers always make sure to sideline Emma when defeating the villains. It happens almost every season.

Let's see:
Pan could conveniently only be killed if Rumple died.
Zelena took Emma's magic away so she couldn't do anything to stop her.
The SQ made sure that Emma's magic couldn't hurt her with the magic ribbons on.
Isaac made sure Emma was powerless in his fictional book.
Zelena made sure to interfere before Emma could get to Hades herself.

As for what Emma has done:
She broke the dark curse after 28 years. This includes helping numerous people get their happy endings such as Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, etc...
She saved Snow's life from Cora.
She helped Archie and Henry out of the mines when they were trapped.
She helped Regina stop SB from being destroyed.
She unlocked the map in Neverland so they could locate Pan.
Her and Hook fixed their own mistake in the past by making sure that Snow and Charming fell in love.
She killed Hook to stop the Dark One's from killing everyone.
Her and Regina reunited Lily with Maleficent.
Her and Regina stopped the (Chyrnabog?) from terrorizing SB.

It is fair to say that Emma doesn't defeat the villains herself, but she has helped people a lot.

Since the writers needed a "boy-scout" (or should I say girl-scout) character, they made Emma the leader because she has all of the qualities of hero. She has a troubled past, no parents to guide her at first, and she doesn't need a reason to do the right thing.

Just my opinion:
Personally, I think the show has a nice balance of who makes decisions. Emma doesn't make every decision in the show. She doesn't decide how Regina and Zelena or Rumple and Belle should get along for example.

Who would you like to see be the leader of the show?
Tachs

Postby Tachs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:12 am

Yeah this season I've even noticed Regina take a back seat to Emma. I was recently rewatching the first season, and it's like a huge difference between Regina then and Regina now. But now she split herself. So that probably has a lot to do with it.

Return to “Once Chit Chat”