What do you think of season 6 so far?

General Once Upon a Time chat.
jujubee

What do you think of season 6 so far?

Postby jujubee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Spoilers for 6A ahead.

For me, season 6 has been a real mixed bag. There' s been some good, some bad, and some shrugging on my part.

Good:
Old-OUAT type episodes like The Other Shoe
Characters mostly working together, especially the extended Charming family
Jekyll and Hyde (I miss you guys!)
Finally exploring what the "Savior" is
Character returns like Archie and Cinderella

Bad:
Evil Queen - Honestly, she's felt a little pathetic to me. (Obviously others disagree.) Most of her plans have amounted to nothing and weren't much to start with. The only interesting thing she's done is curse Snowing, though I don't entirely even understand how it's possible. She also sent Emma to Wish Realm, but I'll get to that.
Regina's "redemption" - I mistakenly thought 6A would have her stop blaming outside forces for all her problems (Emma, Author, alter-ego EQ) and accept responsibility for what she's done along with all parts of herself, but nope. Still waiting.
Rumple - To be fair, I think he may have taken on more than he could handle in 5A when he took on " all the dark ones' power", but he's become a little over simplified.
Waffling Emma
STILL not knowing what a "Savior" is

The shrugging
The Aladdin Crew - I actually like them (spin-off?) but they haven't seemed intricately connected to the story yet
The Last Two Episodes - They felt like "plot-droppers". 6B needed certain characters in certain places for plot and took whatever expediency it took to get there. i.e. Emma in Wish Realm, Regina in Wish Realm, Rumple's mother, Rumbelle confrontation, etc. They sort of make sense, but didn't feel natural, especially in storytelling flow. They felt disjointed to me. There were some parts I liked (give me a David,Hook, & Henry team-up any day!) but seemed like more of a means to an end, if that makes any sense. The main reason I still enjoyed them at all was for that reason - where they may lead us.

As usual I went on too long (and there's more I could say), but at the end of the day I'm reserving my opinion somewhat. For me personally, I feel like this is a season I will enjoy more in rewatch when I know where it's going. (I tend to be that way with a lot of things.) My opinions may very well change completely at that point.

6B will hopefully deal with everything in a cohesive way that feels right. For now, I'll have that hope.

So what does anyone else think?
facelesscreature

Re: What do you think of season 6 so far?

Postby facelesscreature » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am

I've personally enjoyed this season. However, I understand the problems.
Personally, OUAT's biggest flaw is that has too many characters. They have to keep the focus on the main cast, so the writers often repeat story themes a lot. (Even if it doesn't make sense)

I've always thought the seasons are better in rewatch because it's easier to tell when the writers made mistakes.
jujubee

Postby jujubee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 am

I completely agree. Especially rewatching. I see scenes differently and get more out of the show, including "clues", when I know what's coming. I actually find things tend to make more sense.
Edna

Postby Edna » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 am

I completely agree.
NickyHelp

Postby NickyHelp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

jujubee wrote:Spoilers for 6A ahead.

For me, season 6 has been a real mixed bag. There' s been some good, some bad, and some shrugging on my part.

Good:
Old-OUAT type episodes like The Other Shoe
Characters mostly working together, especially the extended Charming family
Jekyll and Hyde (I miss you guys!)
Finally exploring what the "Savior" is
Character returns like Archie and Cinderella

Bad:
Evil Queen - Honestly, she's felt a little pathetic to me. (Obviously others disagree.) Most of her plans have amounted to nothing and weren't much to start with. The only interesting thing she's done is curse Snowing, though I don't entirely even understand how it's possible. She also sent Emma to Wish Realm, but I'll get to that.
Regina's "redemption" - I mistakenly thought 6A would have her stop blaming outside forces for all her problems (Emma, Author, alter-ego EQ) and accept responsibility for what she's done along with all parts of herself, but nope. Still waiting.
Rumple - To be fair, I think he may have taken on more than he could handle in 5A when he took on " all the dark ones' power", but he's become a little over simplified.
Waffling Emma
STILL not knowing what a "Savior" is

The shrugging
The Aladdin Crew - I actually like them (spin-off?) but they haven't seemed intricately connected to the story yet
The Last Two Episodes - They felt like "plot-droppers". 6B needed certain characters in certain places for plot and took whatever expediency it took to get there. i.e. Emma in Wish Realm, Regina in Wish Realm, Rumple's mother, Rumbelle confrontation, etc. They sort of make sense, but didn't feel natural, especially in storytelling flow. They felt disjointed to me. There were some parts I liked (give me a David,Hook, & Henry team-up any day!) but seemed like more of a means to an end, if that makes any sense. The main reason I still enjoyed them at all was for that reason - where they may lead us.

As usual I went on too long (and there's more I could say), but at the end of the day I'm reserving my opinion somewhat. For me personally, I feel like this is a season I will enjoy more in rewatch when I know where it's going. (I tend to be that way with a lot of things.) My opinions may very well change completely at that point.

6B will hopefully deal with everything in a cohesive way that feels right. For now, I'll have that hope.

So what does anyone else think?

It was sweet to see the extended Charming Family member Lucy. We better make that six members of the Charming Family now. Emma, Henry, Snow, Charming, Lucy and Jacinda (who we will see in s7).

I like to add Character Returns like:

1. Alexandra

2. Ariel

3. Baelfire/Neal (though appeared in flashbacks and Wish Realm)

4. Blackbeard

5. Dr. Frankenstein/Dr. Whale

6. Dr. Lydgate (who was last seen in wonderland spinoff)

7. Eric (though as Jafar impersonating him)

8. Geppetto

9. Gus/Billy

10. Isaac Heller (whose story is still hanging where Emma/Lily needs to punish him for when he is to blame and both apologizing to Snowing properly)

11. Jafar (cause he was last seen in spin off even though he was a different actor)

12. King George

13. Liam 2 (last seen in s5 now seen as an adult)

14. Magic Mirror/Sydney

15. Malcolm

16. Mr. Smee

17. Pinocchio/August

18. Pongo

19. Prince James (though as a child)

20. Prince Thomas

21. Robin Hood (even though he is a wish realm version)

22. Ruth

23. Sheriff of Nottingham

24. Stealthy (though in wish realm)

25. Sven

26. The Dragon

27. Tinker Bell

28. Valet

29. Violet

Other Good stuff you forgot to put were things like Jafar appearing in the present right where we left him as a genie from the spin off.
And there were untold stories that appear to be complete like :

Finally seeing the story of Cinderella and her stepfamily, including how she and Snowing first met and met her prince.

Also seeing Liam 2's story complete where it includes wanting revenge on Hook for the murder of his father.

And seeing stories like finally seeing Charming's father and finding out he was not who we though he was since s1. And we found out how he really died. He was murdered by Hook. That's five villains who murdered the parents of the Charming Family. Regina Murdering Snow's father, King George murdering Charming's mother, Cora murdering Snow's mother, Zelena murdering Henry's father Balefire (including Rumple's son) and Hook murdering Charming's father. One of them already died and paid for it, one down and four to go.

You forgot to put another bad thing. It was also wrong for having Emma marry the assassin of Charming's father (who was revealed to be a better man than his killer Hook would ever be). Well, it would appear that this CS ship nonsense will be destroyed cause Emma will only appear in one ep in s7. And it might appear to be Colin's last season cause it was said or heard that Colin said in a con that s7 is his last like it was said and heard from Robert saying in a con that s7 is his last too.

Return to “Once Chit Chat”